Guidelines for attending Group Rides at GS Avanti
The aim for all our rides is that they aim to be safe, welcoming and rewarding.
Preparing for the Ride
- Choose a ride level that you believe you can cope with.
- Helmets are a must.
- Carry some cash for café stops or emergencies.
- Wear clothes that will cope with forecast cold/wet weather.
- Check gears, brakes, wheels, tyres.
- Wear a club jersey if possible.
- Mudguards are preferred in winter.
- Arrive on-time.
- Carry spares and tools (multi-tool recommended) including inner tubes, tyre levers and pump.
- If you have a Garmin (or similar) download the planned route from the website
On the ride
- Always respect the ride leader(s) – they’ll always discuss the approach to the Ride with the group, but their decision has to be final.
- Observe all aspects of the Highway Code.
- Be courteous and do not shout abuse at other road users or cyclists.
- Ride as a group – it’s safer, quicker and more fun than being split up.
- Stronger riders should wait at the soonest opportunity if the group fragments to avoid missing a turning.
- The group should wait or assist those who experience punctures or problems. It does not matter how near to home the ride maybe, it is discourteous to leave a fellow rider stranded.
- Communicate with your fellow riders of any road defects and hazards.
- Ride at a maximum of two abreast, but be prepared to single out where necessary, warn other riders of approaching traffic.
- Slow-down in the presence of horses – make sure the horse’s rider is aware of your presence.
- Ride in a manner that is predictable and safe.
- More experienced members should set an example to the new or younger riders.