Unexpected Weekend Rides

Home page Forums Club runs Unexpected Weekend Rides

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  steve Riley 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

steve Riley

Cancelling the Kentish Killer was entirely the right course of action. I rode an Audax on Saturday called Mad Jacks. It started from Hailsham in East Sussex, and took in lots of back lanes. Start was at 9 am, and we found that in places the lanes were covered in ice. Water was running off the fields, and re freezing on the roads. We had to walk at least 4 times, and one guy fell off in front of me. Fortunately I managed to stop, but nearly slipped off just trying to stand still !. Lovely day, but bitterly cold. We even came across a walker who had fallen over. Conditions were very similar on Sunday morning.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  steve Riley.
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Marek Sasura

Graham, Dave, Hamish and I ventured out yesterday morning with a delayed start at 10am to avoid sub-zero temperatures earlier in the morning.

We stayed on main roads which meant no ice but a crazy amount of traffic. Not sure what is worse.

In the end we somehow ended up in Teapot…

It was only 2C on average but with the windchill it felt much colder. I had my full winter kit on and it was just enough.

An unexpected bonus was the sun which was smiling at us all the way, and freshly baked muffins in Teapot. We lifted all chocolate ones.

Bish, bash, bosh.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  steve Riley.

Steve Rodgers

I went out this afternoon between 2:30-4:00 and it was a beautiful day – but the dangerous sections of ice were still present on the KK route.
    Thankfully we prevented 100s of people from potential injury!
    See my pics from my ride:

Julian Small

Having had a very lucky escape myself last weekend when just a bit slippery (will spare you the photo taken whilst in the A&E trauma unit – luckily looking ok again now) – definitely the right decision!

Bill Fitzgerald

I decided to not tempt fate today, so stayed in a nice warm/safe kitchen on the turbo for a couple of hours.
    Hope anyone that ventured out remained upright.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.