Club Runs – 2nd/3rd Feb (Snowy Weekend) and Old Ports RT

Home page Forums Club runs Club Runs – 2nd/3rd Feb (Snowy Weekend) and Old Ports RT

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ashraf Kamel 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Ashraf Kamel
    Participant

It felt really good to get out with the club again on a sunny Sunday. Thank you Claire for leading. I’m glad you had the turbo session the day before to keep the pace down for me.

Steve Rodgers
    Keymaster

Still in recovery mode I managed some intervals on the turbo on Saturday and hill reps around Ide and Toys.
    Next weekend CX team champs! Hoping to get out on a club run after that.

Keith Cooper
    Participant

Sunday’s ye old Portlians Reliability Trail 03 Feb was an anticipated event weather permitting as it was freezing snowing and very cold.. could we get out and into it..
    Well some did.. early that morning I made my up to The venue Knockholt village hall …as I got there confronted by snow and ice to get into the hall.. ! Paid my dues then was told that it was the short route only.. understandable as the start time had been put forward to 10am in hope that it might desolve some ice.. no chance.. Seven of us departed down Pole and over to Otford .. where three rider’s said No more Graham C Martin R Dave B. They was quite right.. anything could happen.. that left Me Jomo H .Eni O. And Ken H we decided to go on a bit further.. but ended up going the whole ride .. well the short one 48 miles..we did stop at Ide hill community centre for coffees. Probably that’s why they come out looking for us as we missed the check in.. I ride with three Old ports in my mid week club Great people as everyone knows.. and look forward to their next RT

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Sat-90mins on the turbo, nothing else to say on that one!
    Sun-couldn’t face anymore turbo, but also wimped out of the Old Ports RT. But with a beautiful sunny day forecast, although still very cold, I persuaded a few folks out for a 40 miler on the main roads. The group consisted of Sadie B, Paul A, Ash and me. Nice to see Ash after a long time! We did a Sat route that had been used when frost/ice was likely on the lanes (thanks to Nick P for that one). We headed down Polhill to Otford, on to Eynsford, Sutton at Hone, Darenth and Meopham. Roads mostly OK so far and actually drier than I thought. Despite the main roads we had some lovely views of the snowy fields as we headed up Longfield Hill. Of course, I kind of forgot that from Meopham back towards Wrotham is quite high and lots more snow still present on the pavements etc. Even though the sun was shining, in the shaded sections there were still some icy patches on this road. Ash guided us through very sensibly and we all survived the descent and arrived safely in Wrotham. Back via Pilgrims Way, Otford, Polhill and home. Thanks very much to the team for braving the cold and joining me, it was lovely just to be outside and not staring at the garage wall on the turbo! Well done Neale and Andy for your Sat efforts, and to everyone else who made it outside on a bike this weekend.

Neale Napier
    Participant

With the normal Saturday ride cancelled due to risk of ice, Andy Mc and I went for an alternative ride, choosing the safer, mainly off-road option, on our MTB and X Bikes respectively. Strangely my X Bike (or gravel bike with nobbly 38s) coped better than Andy’s MTB since his nobbles had lost their teeth 🙂 We did an 18 mile loop around Biggin Hill. At times, going faster than walking pace in the slush and mud, felt harder than some of the legendary Saturday “Flat” hills :). It certainly forces you to push hard as sometimes the only other option is to go too slowly, lose balance and fall off 🙁 Chapeau to the hard core cyclo X guys that do this on a regular basis.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.