Club runs – 27th/28th April

Home page Forums Club runs Club runs – 27th/28th April

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Dines 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Bill Fitzgerald
    Participant

G2 Hartfield loop.
    9 of us set off from the G along Cudham Lane, down Hogtrough and up Brastead where we met Steve Rodgers and Johnny Edwards at the top before descending Toys Hill. We soon arrived at the foot of Kidds Hill (AKA The Wall) one of the favourite ascents in the area where the group spread out a bit but regrouped at the top. It’s always interesting when you see someone attempt that hill on a fixed wheel bike, chapeau to that man. Johnny Edwards made The Wall look incredibly easy so I think we need to inspect bikes for electric motors pre-ride as a rule LOL.
    Once all back together we descended Black Hill on our return route that took in a lovely coffee and cake at Penshurst Place.
    Once suitably refreshed we returned to the G. At some point a split occurred with half the group hanging onto Jomo’s rear wheel as he was on a mission to get home early.

Great choice of route Mr moss and thanks to all in the group for an enjoyable ride and even better company.

Bill

Chris Dines
      Keymaster

I’d second all that. Great route Mr Moss, which I plan to do again. I’ve been struggling with a cold for a couple of weeks, so after going up Cudham, Toys and the climb near Hever I was happy to drop back a bit and do the hills at my own pace…….which in the case of the “Wall” was spectacularly slow. Not sure what the opposite of a KOM is, but I was doing it.
      Really like Penshurst as a cafe stop as well. Welcoming!

Charles Lockwood
    Participant

G4 Sunday. 7 of us set off for Oxted via Edenbridge. Rita, Sandra, Chris, Steve and two new ladies Millie and Ash. Good to see Steve back and fit after his recent lay off.

Despite the weather not being a nice as the week before we enjoyed a good incident free run out via Ide Hill and Hever. Fabulous scenery, so much so that we had to stop to take photos. Road surfaces were mixed but given the speed we go this isn’t too much of an issue :-).

Good chat at the coffee stop in Oxted followed by a gentle run along Pilgrims and up Polhill.

A very enjoyable ride and hope to see Mille and Ash again.

A bit of disagreement between Garmin and Wahoo but we’ll settle for 43 miles at 14s with 2600 of up.

Grant Rendle
    Participant

Nice ride Nick – now we can add this to our regular routes 🙂

Nick Patow
    Participant

The Early Saturday ride took on a few of the local hills today, and 12 arrived keen to challenge themselves (or hoping that a bit of rain was going to result in a change to the alternate flatter route).

Two groups of six were formed, with everyone playing down their chances/fitness/ability/training ahead of the off.

With Me was Simon V, Grant R, John C, Giles D, and Andy Mc.

The second group was Simon and Claire C, Neale N, Steve B, Colin P and his brother in law Andy.

By way of an aperitif, before the feast we headed to Polhill via Stonehouse Lane, before descending and turning up the first proper hill of the day, Star Hill. For my group a trend had already been established by this stage, with Giles waiting for us at the top !

Across and down Sundridge Hill took us to the spine of the ride today, Pilgrims Way, where a number of climbs were lined up.
    Thus we benefitted from turning out of the headwind by going up Brasted Hill, before returning to Pilgrims down Hogtrough. From there we pushed on further into the wind to Clarkes Lane and the drag up to Tatsfield and on towards Gangers before dropping down Chalkpit Lane.

A loop round to and up Tandridge Hill lane brought us to a handy refuelling stop where the two groups met for a short chat about how much they were enjoying the hills. Both groups were riding well, with very little gap in the arrivals at the top. Bananas eaten and we set off with a nice tail wind back towards Tatsfield, before dropping to tackle White Lane, and probably the steepest section of road of the day ?

Things got simpler from here, in so far as we’d now ride up the hills we’d come down earlier. In a nutshell that was Hogtrough, Sundridge and Polhill, before with legs still stinging a bit we headed for coffee at Poppy’s

Well done to all today, everyone looked really strong, even if it felt like a bit of a struggle 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.