Club runs 23/24 March

Home page Forums Club runs Club runs 23/24 March

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DaveB 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

DaveB
    Participant

G4 to Lingfield was my first club ride on English terra firma for more than 6 weeks. very cold but not unbearable compared to Australiaat 31C. Only 3 of us were available Jenny and Rita abstained as they thought the ride would be too far and too fast.The pace out was very reasonable which I lead most of the way via Halstead, Knockholt and Westerham Hill (Shampan Restaurant) We descended via Pilgrims Way to the near bottom of Titsey Hill where very recent roadworks had kindly provided an excellent smooth passageway to Oxted. Charles and Ian Soper, then helped out until Lingfield, where we enjoyed the superb coffee and refreshment at COSTA COFFEE in the warm sunshine.Althogh the headwind didn’t help on the return journey the English road surface reminded me that we have a long way to go before we match Australia and Majorca. At 30 miles, my legs began to suffer the climbs, leaving Charles and Ian on the front as my task of ride leader had finished. All went well along Pilgrims Way, until a massive two way traffic jam engulfed us. Naturally we squeezed through and Polhill embraced us until the top, where shortly afterwards Alan Else, Phil Hookway and Paul Allen joined us from G3 for a club social chat.45 miles 14mph (ouch) and a rather tired DB staggered home.

Alan Else
    Participant

What a glorious day for a bike ride in the Weald of Kent, with daffodils nodding in the Spring sunshine. Five G3ers set off East to Borough Green on Sunday,then climbed up to the ridge alongside the Wealdway overlooking Plaxtol and the Fairlawne estate. Some serious deforestation opened up the vista at the top of Gover Hill as we dropped down across the Greensand Way towards Hadlow. Turning West into a stiff breeze, we headed for Shipborne and Underriver before doing a clockwise loop behind Hildenborough to Tipps Cross and then dragged up Nizels Lane to the Teal Cafe. We hit the late breakfast rush and some had to wait a bit for their bacon sandwich, but the cafe was very welcoming and contemporary in design if a bit crowded.Officially we were in the Low Weald, but it didn’t feel like it after climbing into Sevenoaks Weald and up Bayleys Hill, then along Gracious Lane to Ide Hill.Ken stopped for some coffee and a massage at the village shop, while Phil, Paul, Ian and myself dropped down to Sundridge and Polhill to finish at the G. Thanks to all for a very pleasant 49 mile ride.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.