Club Runs – 20th/21st October

Home page Forums Club runs Club Runs – 20th/21st October

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Alan Else 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Alan Else
    Participant

Ten riders set off in the fresh and sunny conditions in the G3 group heading for Hildenboro. Following the Pilgrims Way through Otford and Kemsing and then through St Clere estate, we soon came to Borough Green. A quick flick left down a narrow back Street and we briefly joined the A25 before turning right and dragging up to the Wealdway ridge overlooking Plaxtol, with Metrworth Woods on our left. From the top of Gover Hill, we plunged down towards West Peckham but turned right into the lanes and wiggled our way to Shipbourne and Underiver.From there it was a pleasant slope down to Hildenboro Golf Club after an extra loop through Tips Cross. During an enforced rest waiting for scrambled eggs and coffee, Keith amused us with an account of a night in a snow hole and being rescued by Air Ambulance in the mountains during a snowboarding trip. Thankfully he now has a new satnav!
    We continued the ride in glorious sunshine with beautiful views over the Kent countryside, surely the best county in England, before wiggling our way through the lanes to creep up on Ide Hill from the West.Some of us crept up the hill while the fresher mountain goats peddled away from us before re-assembling in Ide Hill village. Down to Sundridge and a last climb up Polhill concluded this seemingly lumpy flat ride, enjoyed by all in the unbelievable October weather.
    86 Kms at 24.9 kph average.

DaveB
    Participant

G4 – Sun brings out more ! 12 riders in total, nearly had to consider two groups. Two new riders joined us who managed admirably, well done. With barely any wind to speak of, we made good progress until the short stiff climb out of Addington (Kent) where we came to a halt with Charles having a puncture halfway up the hill. Whilst several members stopped to help, the remaining peloton were engulfed at the top by hoards of people walking, driving and motorcycling to the local green to view the older cars on display. Some vintage, some in my era, Austin A35, Triumph Herald, Triumph TR3,etc. With this number of enthusiasts in the area, I suggested an alternative Garden Centre Cafe 100 metres up the road, as we know the Raggermuffins in West Malling struggles to accommodate club cyclists at the best of times.What a find this turned out to be, clean, good wholesome food, service unparalleled, outside of Brookside. We were served at our tables in the garden.
    Our journey home was fairly uneventful through the quiet country lanes, until Polhill of course where we split into two groups to reduce the problem of overtaking cars taking you out at the narrow top section. 41 miles, 13.4mph, 2847ft climbing. Next week Lingfield, choice of Cafes, Steve Chivers your ride leader, approximately 40 miles.

Steve Rodgers
    Keymaster

Vigo Hill on a Saturday ride – good effort!

Nick Patow
    Participant

The house on the lorry….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Simon Vaughan
    Participant

Fantastic route Nick, definitely one of my favourites. Thanks to Adam for leading the front group and setting a great pace, one that was stretching at times but kept the group together. Looks like Vigo KOM of the day went to Adam.

Nick Patow
    Participant

What a lovely day, cant quite believe its the middle of October !

15 at the G this morning, so two groups.

Claire C, Ashley P, Neale N, Patrick N, Steve B, Martin D and Daryl H and me.

Simon V, Andy Mc, Adam D, Grant W, Sean C, John Caine and John’s buddy Neal.

The route today was “inspired” by the Fools Errand sportive, and had been sitting in a Strava folder since April waiting to be ridden. In fitting the Saturday 40 mile brief, it was to afford us 25 or so miles of the sportive route once we’d made our way over to a joining point in Trottscliffe at the bottom of Vigo Hill.

Prior to the Trottscliffe arrival, the Saturday ride had welcomed back into its fold Patrick Norman, now getting back to form after a lengthy lay off. It was great to see him back out in Avanti colours once again.

We made good progress out along Pilgrims Way, and in heading East were largely catching the warming sunshine on our side of the road after what had been a chilly start. It therefore wasn’t long before a few “well wrapped up” riders were feeling the heat.

However, before we could turn up Vigo Hill and join the Fools Errand route, we had to negotiate a lorry blocking the lane with someone’s home on the back of it. In the end the passing manoeuvre involved edging down the side of the lorry whilst ducking under the house that was hanging over both sides of it. There was of course a reason it had stopped when we came up to it, and I’m not too sure how much further it could have gone really.

Back on the bike, and straight up Vigo – The reason for the route.
    Well, what more can I say over and above everyone enjoyed the 19% section as far as I could tell !

From the top we enjoyed a few miles of descent down to Longfield before zig zagging our way up and down across to Eynsford. Next was the top of Shoreham before Shacklands and onto Knockholt via Halstead.

By this time our number was down to 6, after Patrick and Martin had each chosen a more direct route home. For those remaining, we just had the drop down Rushmore and the A21 to bring us to the finish line coffee.

Waiting for us was the lead group (who couldn’t have been as quick as they’d said as their coffee hadn’t been served ? ), and Simon C, who’d been out on his CX bike.

A really enjoyable ride today, in amazing conditions (once it had warmed up a bit), with everyone riding well within the group, and how nice was it sitting in the sun at Belmondos ?
    Thank you to all for the great company throughout.

I had 70kms @ 25kph with 875m of climbing (and only 300m @ 19%).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.