Club Runs – 16th/17th March

Home page Forums Club runs Club Runs – 16th/17th March

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Claire Clarke 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Claire Clarke
    Participant

G3 Sun – only 4 of us turned up at the ‘G’ to tackle Alan’s 105km route to the flatlands of East Peckham, Marden and back to Yalding for tea at Teapot, where else would you go! Joining me were: Claire W, Ak L and Bert H (new member, welcome to G3). Although we had a relatively large flat section in the middle we still seemed to manage quite a lot of up on the way out and back. We were going along nicely when I realised that was because the wind was helping push us along, all that could mean was that at some point when we changed direction to return we were going to have a head wind, sure enough, a lot of the return journey seemed a lot harder! But big thanks to Bert for doing big turns on the front and letting us hide. Arriving in East Peckham we spotted a lone cyclist sitting outside the public toilets, on getting slightly closer we realised it was Alan E, he’d taken the short cut to meet us! Nice to have Alan join us for a loop and tea. Thanks to everyone for good company and riding. Did we mention that Claire and I aren’t around this weekend (sunny Girona beckons)!! See you all the weekend after. Cheers, Claire C

Charles Lockwood
    Participant

G4 Sunday. 6 of us set off for Hilden Golf. Rita, Alethea, new member Jade, Dave C and Chis. Weather was much kinder than of late but there was the odd gust of wind that took us by surprise. Despite the recent poor weather the roads were ok and we made good time to Hilden only to find we were locked out of the cafe. After a few minutes head scratching we attracted the attention of the staff who agreed to open up for us. However our choices were limited to coffee and iced buns. I do like the route to Hilden but the cafe is a bit hit and miss at the moment so we might need to find a plan B.

After a good chat we set off with Dave doing most of the hard work and arrived back at Polhil about 1 ish. Jade was very modest but I think found our pace fairly easy so may be a new recruit for G3. My Garmin had a funny turn but I’m told we did 40 miles at 14.5 mph which seems a little quick but perhaps we had the wind behind both ways. Thanks to all for a nice ride.

Nick Patow
    Participant

Eight gathered for a windy adventure in the local tree lined lanes. At the G this morning we’re Claire C, Ashley P, Steve B, Jim N, John C, Will T, Andy Mc and Me.
    We set off straight up Old Hill (very popular), but that pain lead to the gain as we made our way up to Downe and on to Shampan dodging the worst of the wind.

Turning left at Shampan set us off towards Knockholt with the benefit of a tail wind, before we headed over to Shoreham and along to the climb of the day up Fackenden. Down and up from there brought us to the top of Tinkerpot before bananas were taken at the top of Old Terry’s. Sitting in the strongest wind of the day so far, all were happy to stick to the route back along Pilgrims Way, so down we dropped before heading for Otford.
    Coming the other way were the wind assisted Teapotters Channon, Barker and one other (sorry don’t recognise). It was a brief passing, and I hope they enjoyed their 20 miles back in the head wind 🙂

Back we went through Shoreham and up to Chelsfield Village before rolling down to the Esso garage roundabout at the bottom of Rushmore. This proved to be quite traumatic for some, as it was established there was no A21 right turn and early coffee !
    Once the reality sunk in we set off up Rushmore on our final (bonus !) loop through Knockholt and up to Cudham, taking on the headwind for the last time before heading down for coffee.

Thanks to everyone for the good company, well done for venturing out today, and thanks to John for the coffee.
    Stats today were 68.5km @ 23.5kph with 980m of up

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.