Club Runs – 12th/13th January

Home page Forums Club runs Club Runs – 12th/13th January

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  DaveB 6 days, 16 hours ago.

• Author

DaveB
    Participant

G4 were up to strength on Sunday, 7 in total, although we shed two at offam as they needed to get back home. (we had run late due to a front wheel puncture, the victim had forgotten his tyre levers) Excellent food at the Spadework Food Shed Cafe was soon spoilt by the headwind home.Ian Soper volunteered to help, and the pace was maintained, all the way to the top of Polhill. Thanks Ian. I’m sure everyone enjoyed the warmer weather, not sure if this will last for next Sunday’s ride.Distance 38 Miles, speed 13.8mph, climbing not recorded.

Michael Coulton
    Participant

A weekend of Avanti rides, Saturday’s hilly Chiddingstone loop with grumpy shotgun farmer (maybe poacher) was a great route even with the mud cleaning Lorry
    making things muckier. Also my first time up Hubbard’s hill wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Great ride great group, and good to see 18 at the G.
    Sunday G3 saw more hills on the route to Lingfield, at the G were Phil, Tony, Simon, Alex, Keith, the ride leader was me.
    First hill Fackenden got us going for the Lumps up to Ide hill behind Knoll park for a well deserved decent down Ide and along to Edenbridge. A windy push to Lingfield where thankfully Alan Else was there already on our reserved table. Alex’s pancakes looked so nice we all fancied a taster!
    After food we left for Oxted and the winds seemed to pick up even more, onto Titsie then Pilgrims where angry car driver was shouting at cyclists going the other way (what’s new). A few deep breaths to stretch the lungs before the climb up Hogtrough to finish the Lumps before the decent down Cudham Lane to The G to finish the Lingfield Roller Coaster ride.
    Thanks to all for a great ride.

Neale Napier
    Participant

Hamish and I had the honour of leading G2. This saw 8 riders keen for a blast on the classic Yalding loop (and it was a blast). Hamish, Paul, Graham, Dave B, Bill, Jim, John K and me. On the way out we had a very strong tailwind and were absolutely flying (well it felt like that anyway). I do love a strong tailwind when zipping along on the flat without the usual associated wind noise 🙂 Almost as good as a push up a hill! Whilst there was no planned stop due to teapot being closed, we just couldn’t resist popping into the newly opened and adjacent Boathouse for coffees. Thanks John for buying! On the way back we slogged into the headwind with lots of shifts being taken on the front, but still managed a team drag up Polhill. Great ride with great company.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Neale Napier.

Bill Fitzgerald
      Participant

G2 ride – Sunday 13th.
      As Neale says, great ride with great group. Once we got over the outbound lumps and onto the flat lanes the pace picked up nicely.
      Very nice coffee (thanks John) @ the BoatHouse in Yalding.
      Strong gusts of wind made it interesting at times, but overall it was very pleasant out.

Cheers
      Bill

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Thanks Nick for a lovely route, just a touch on the hilly side! But my group of Mick C, Claire W, Ashley P, Martin D and Denis M battled through in strong form making it back to Poppy’s for a very well earned coffee and late breakfast for some. Thanks all for keeping us going.
    I opted out of the G3 ride on Sun to go to cyclopark and watch the National cyclocross championships – they know how to ride a bike! Met Rob, Claire and Tim J from the club, and Angus from La Vie en Velo (who took us to the Pyrenees last summer). All great fun, although now defrosting!

Nick Patow
    Participant

18 arrived for the Saturday ride, an amazing turnout once again, and necessitating three groups on the road.

There were too many to mention by name, but in bunches of six we set off. First away was a group lead by Adam D, then my six, with Claire C leading the final group away.

The route was hilly, and started up Cudham lane before dropping down to the A25, then up Chart Lane and across to the top of Ide Hill.
    Having felt quite warm up to this point the next few miles generally downhill to Chiddingstone Castle cooled us down again.

Next was up to the back of Markbeech, and over to Cowden Station before turning onto what proved to be a muddy Moat Lane. The farmers had been having fun with their tractors by the looks of it, although the one we came across with his dog and shotgun wasn’t looking too happy. Safely past him and the mud we continued to Penshurst, before the ascent of the day’s big climb, Hubbard’s. A bit of cat and mouse between the first two groups over the previous 10 miles or so was resolved at the top, with Adam’s group pushing on from this point.

Back at Belmondo’s, we found other Avanti riders Sam D, Paul D, Lee S and Simon C outside as the shop was full. Given the temperature, a quick decision had us roll back up the road to Poppy’s, and fortunately Claire’s group saw us as they came through. An enjoyable ride, well done to all. Special thanks to Adam and Claire for their leading.

For those who’ll have clean bikes next weekend, I’ll do my best to find a route with lovely clean roads for you !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.