Club rides – Vuelta starts

Home page Forums Club runs Club rides – Vuelta starts

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Lockwood 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Charles Lockwood
    Participant

G4 Sunday. 9 started at the G. It was good to see Lee Powell who hasn’t been out for a while.

We headed off towards Ide Hill but I managed to take a wrong turn and went down to Shoreham rather than Polhill. Rather than turn round I thought I try to style it out and hope no-one notice. No chance. Anyway despite the detour we made good time over Polhill and onto Hilden Golf centre. In fact we were there before the café opened. After copious cold drinks we headed back at a slower pace via Plaxtol and Polhill to be back by 1pm. About 40 miles at 14.2.

Martin Rowling
    Participant

G1…

There were four of us that set off from Green St Green for the G1 ride through Chiddingstone in glorious sunshine. We made our way up Cudham Lane and down Brasted Hill before turning in Pilgrims Way where Steve joined up with Gary, Graham, Nolan and myself to make 5. We headed along Pilgrims and up Clarke’s lane before descending Titsey Hill where some crazy speeds were set… my wahoo registered my top speed at 58.4mph.

We carried on towards Edenbridge and round Bough Beech reservoir and while the scenery was lovely, the same couldn’t be said of the road surface which had us rattling around all over the place. Arriving in Chiddingstone for a coffee we were all struggling with the heat and cold water, coffee and cake were very welcome. Alistair and Andy from G2 joined us and we set off from the cafe as a combined G1 and 2.

We decided to return via a slightly less hilly route and made our way through Leigh, around Hildenborough and up Plaxtol to the Plough were an emergency bottle refil stop was required with Nolan deciding to push on. The landlord came out with bottles of cold water to pour over ourselves, although Steve looked like he had already done this, such was his rate of perspiration. Graham was keen to point out the pouring of water had hit the spot, I’ll leave out the exact spot he mentioned but safe to say they were cool and he wasn’t talking about his legs!

No sooner had we left the Plough, Graham noticed a flat so we stood in the shade and fixed that before returning via Seal, Riverhead and up Polhill.

A great club ride but a touch too hot if you ask me!

My ride was 62 miles, 4,000ft of climbing at 18.6mph.

Alan Else
    Participant

A warm sunny day greeted the G3 eight for their ride to Lingfield. A veritable ‘Olde English’ country lane route was on the itinerary, including such delights as Ide Hill village green and church, views over Bough Beech reservoir , crossing the River Eden just before Chiddingstone Castle lake and half timbered village, home of the Chiding Stone. Then it was onwards and a drag upwards to Chiddingstone Hoath before taking the well hidden Bassets Lane, with it’s half timbered moated manor house, taking us through some traditional rural farming scenery before joining the road to Cowden , another pretty Kentish village. Furnace Lane was next, a winding, gravelly, lakeside lane through more farming country ending in a drag up to the Dormansland road. From there we could almost smell the coffee at the welcoming Red Rum Cafe in Lingfield. With efficient table service and nourishing freshly prepared food, we refuelled for the return trip. Spinning along the newly resurfaced road to Marsh Green we soon came into Edenbridge, (by-passing the new Italian ‘Pronto’ cafe in the High Street) and taking Five Fields Lane to Coopers Corner before climbing Ide Hill. At the top, Keith continued his bike maintenance advice to Liam and Claire surprised us by producing some oil for his chain. Later, his trusty steel tyre lever came in useful to remove Richard’s punctured tyre. Ignoring the bridleway directions on the route sheet, we climbed up Polhill to conclude this 50 mile/3400ft. ride at 15.2mph average, with a maximum of 36 degrees registering on my bike computer!

Richard Liston
    Participant

A big thanks to Keith V-St C for helping me fix my puncture, which fortunately occurred just before the Green at the end of what was a great ride among great company on a very hot day. Excellent route as always Alan. I must also extend my thanks to Rob G who pulled up in his van at the precise moment to supply much-needed water and some instant gas to inflate my new tube.
    Richard

Simon Vaughan
    Participant

Saturday Ride

9 started out from the G. Neale, Russ, Tony, Adam, Bert, Andy, Sean, Jim & Myself.

Out up the A21 before turning towards Halstead and Knockholt at a social pace with lots of chatter coming from the group. All the way to Tatsfield before dropping into westerham. Then began the first real climbing of the day with a breakaway of Adam, Bert and Sean up Hosey hill and their punishment was missing the fork left towards Chartwell. A quick call from the rest of the group and some soft pedalling saw them on the back and we all managed the hidden turn into Puddledock Lane. The sight of a hill soon had Adam chomping at the bit so the meet at the top of Toys was set. A quick re-group and banana break at the top and we were off to ide dodging an unlucky squirrel.

Fast down Ide, sweeping past the reservoir and dodging a tractor coming round a blind corner and there was soon questions of the “official banana stop”. We’d wait till the top of carter’s for the next stop and it was soon upon us with some good efforts on the front. Sweaty and steep for me but over fairly quickly and some respite in the shade of the trees. The temperature by that time was also climbing as fast as the group was.

A long decent through Seal popping back up onto pilgrims towards Shoreham. The long drag up Chelsfield lane saw a split of a strong 5 on the front (Adam (of course), Russ, Bert, Jim & Sean) and wouldn’t be seen till Belmondo’s. The less pacy riders regrouping at the end of Chelsfield lane and meeting the others for coffee.

A great ride and company. Thanks all.

Best of luck to Adam for Poland, although it doesn’t look like it will be needed.

Steve Rodgers
    Keymaster

Please write up your club rides on this very hot weekend.
    I’m sitting on the sofa watching the Vuelta after finally cooling down.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.