Club Rides – Circuit of Kent weekend

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides – Circuit of Kent weekend

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charles Lockwood 1 week ago.

• Author

Charles Lockwood
    Participant

G4 Sunday. Due to other committments only 3 riders were available for G4 selection, Ian, Dave C and myself. We followed the advertised flatish route out to Lingfield via Halstead, Shampan, Tatsfield and down onto the Pilgrims Way. It was about now that Dave C took up the lead and Ian and I hung on as best we could all the way to Lingfield. We stopped at the Red Rum where we hadn’t been in quite a while. Very good service but sadly the carrot cake wasn’t rated very highly. We were soon back on our way after a short( very unlike G4) stop via Haxted and Merle Common. Again Dave did most of the front work and we were back at Polhil by 12.40. Dave had entertained us on the way back by getting a series of punctures in his new tubeless tyres. Each time it punctured he was covered in white goo. Well, we thought it was amusing…. I think the tyre issues and my fatigue slowed our return as I ended up with about 42 miles at 14.5mph. Thanks gents for a very pleasant ride.

Nick Patow
    Participant

By way of a warm up for the Circuit of Kent, the Saturday ride offered a flattish 40 mile option taken up by seven in total, although only three will be riding again tomorrow.

Those at the start were Ashley P, John C, Simon V, Neale N, Julian S and Myself. I know what you’re thinking, that’s only six !
    That’s right, only six started, with Russ K being collected a minute down the road following his trademark “slightly late arrival”.

The route proved a success by the end, but started as a bit of a mystery tour to the Wahoo users amongst us. Despite the claims, there was nothing wrong with the route file, just wahoo short comings 🙂

Up to Polhill, down and over to Sundridge we went before climbing to the summit of Ide Hill. Funnily enough it was those who are not planning on riding 130km tomorrow who pushed the pace. So having topped out at Ide we set about enjoying the largely downhill/slightly downhill section across to Leigh.

Again those resting tomorrow were keen to be at the front, with John C in particular looking very strong.

Bananas were taken just the far side of Hilldenborough before a return via Plaxtol, Ightham and Pilgrims Way brought us to the steady climb out of Otford and up Polhill. The final push was the run in down the A21 to Belmondo’s initially for alfresco coffee, but which soon became indoor coffee as the reality of Autumn soaked into our limbs.

A speedy ride on a flattish circuit, together with some rare observations/compliments on finding a “flat Saturday route” made for a very enjoyable ride. Well done to all today. Ballpark numbers were 70km, 750m of up and 28kph.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.