Club Rides – 6th/7th April

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides – 6th/7th April

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Claire Clarke 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Thanks Nick for good route, I need all the hills at the moment! In the second group were: Grant R, Alastair D, Andy McS, Steve B, Simon C, Neale N, Jim N, Ed W and me! Thanks to Alastair for leading and all for good company and riding.

Neale Napier
    Participant

G2 headed off to Spadeworks. It was the first visit for me. The group consisted of Jim (Leading), Claire C, Ashraf Kamel, Andrew S, Tony LV and me. Tony made a very early offering to the cycle gods by puncturing on the A21 before we even starting the first climb 🙂 At least we provided some amusement/bewilderment for the later starting G3 group and other Avanties who waved as they passed by. Mist was the theme of the day and depending on which weather forecast you listened to, when the rain would arrive (that never did). On the scale of things (or compared to a Saturday ride) it was a fairly flat route., The hills were negotiated without much separation of the group. Tony and Ash said goodbye as they needed to get back, when the rest of us stopped off at the Spadeworks garden centre and cafe. I would give this a 10/10 rating, good food, good coffee & good price. I ordered the same as Claire, including some cake, like a posh mince pie which she convinced me was really nice. Claire seemed a bit disappointed with hers as it was clearly lacking much filling, just as I tucked into mine, which was overflowing with filling. Oops!

Cheers Jim et al for a lovely ride.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Claire Clarke
      Participant

The posh mince pie is called an Eccles Cake, originating from Eccles in Lancashire – up north!

Thanks all for great ride.

Nick Patow
    Participant

The early Saturday ride attracted 15 this week, with Hubbards clearly being the big draw.

The group split sent six off first, with nine preferring to dodge what I understand was perceived to be a faster group.

The six were Dave B, Adam D, Simon V, Julian S, Russ K and myself. Sorry but I can’t now recall the remaining nine.

I’m not sure but a strava title for their ride suggested at least one person thought we’d be rolling round to Hubbards on the flat all the way ? A bit of a schoolboy error that. To get to Hubbards we went via Worlds End Lane, Bower Lane, Tinker Pot, and Basted Hill, although the route was kind enough to bypass the Street up through Plaxtol 🙂

With Adam and Dave B sitting at the front and chatting away up all the early Hills, the rest of us likely registered various PB’s whilst keeping within touching distance. (Mine were World’s End Lane and Bower).

So Hubbards arrived, and I had a plan…..it worked perfectly and I was duly last up. The honours I understand went to Dave B who rode away from everyone bar Adam as if we’d stopped !

Having got to the top, I collected the five and we made our way home via Brittains Lane, Dunton Green and Polhill, where under the leadership of Adam we rode up at a decent rate as a nice tidy group of six.
    Belmondos was calling at this stage, and it wasn’t long before we were pulling up outside before securing seats in the warm.

Thanks to the group for the good company, to Dave and Adam for pulling us along on the hills, and to Dave again for buying my Hot chocolate. Well done too to the second group who rolled in shortly after, making light of any pre ride fears the first group was going to be too fast.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.