Club Rides – 3rd/4th August

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides – 3rd/4th August

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Soper 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Ian Soper
    Participant

G4 only had three takers, i assume due to holidays and ride London participation? It started with a slight delay as i forgot the first rule of bike maintenance, always do a test ride after fitting new components. My new tyres had not fitted correctly to the rims so i had to go back to my car, deflate them and set them properly into the rims. Thanks to Steve for pumping one of them up again.
    The thee of us, me, Keith and Steve, set off at a good pace which I found a bit tough after my week off in france not watching the TDF. i picked the stage that got cancelled! We avoided the regular climbs at the back of Longfield hill as they seem to be regular sites for fly tipping and took the main road through Longfield. We reached the cyclopark by 11;30 at an average speed of 14.7 mph, more Group 3.5 than group 4 pace!
    After cake and coffee watching the West Kent road club’s club championship we set off to try and follow the flat route home that Dave B had introduced on the last G4 ride to the cyclopark. After the short, sharp climb from Longfield’s Green St Green we reached Horton Kirby and then took the long steady climb through Hextable. it must only be 1 or 2 percent average and goes on for miles, a very pleasant experience as an alternative to the climb up from Eynesford to Crockenhill!
    As there were only three of us we set a pace a bit faster than a usual G4 ride and not one we would normally do if we had a full group.
    Ride distance: 41 miles.
    Average speed|: 14.5 mph.

Martin Rowling
    Participant

G2 turns into G1 ride around Bewl Water

At the G I was met by Dave, Matt and Adam for the advertised G2 ride. Low on numbers due to holidays and the ride London, we set off up Rushmore Hill and were joined by Johnny coming the other way, who had hoped to meet us at the bottom of Star Hill not the top on account of him having to go up it!

Over Ide Hill, where the views are always spectacular when it’s clear and down into places I cannot name. The scenery was stunning and despite lots of chatting amongst the group the pace was more in line with G1 than G2, which showed everyone was feeling good. Johnny left us early to get his daughter to an athletics meeting as the four of us carried on towards Bewl. Hill after Hill we eventually made it over towards Marden where a collective sigh of relief suggested everyone was glad of some flat roads for a change.

Refuelled at Teapot we made good progress to Plaxtol before Adam punctured. Matt failed to find him so we had to dispatch Dave to complete the search and puncture repair mission. Back on the road we were at the G again in no time.

Big shout out to Matt who finally managed to get out the saddle on a climb and not come shooting back at me like normal… I think he saved that one for a ride when Hamish wasn’t out but I’m sure normal service will resume next week!

A long beautiful hilly ride with friends, couldn’t pick a better way to spend my Sunday…

My ride was 86 miles, 6200ft of climbing at an ave speed of 17mph.

Alan Else
    Participant

Thanks all for a lovely ride to Ardingly, ridden at a sensible pace so that we could all keep together. Parts of the route were new to me too and even included a private road leading to an off road section through a rubbish tip! At least we avoided the traffic through East Grinstead that way. The lanes after Ardingly were really pleasant,even though we were welcomed back into East Sussex with a stiff climb. This made up for the bumpy busy road from Newchapel to Effingham Park which I will avoid in future. Climbing more metres per kilometre than the Ride London race, the espresso stop at Red Rum cafe on the way back was more than welcome. The agreement to ride steadily was torn up at the foot of Polhill as usual, but we all regrouped at the top with smiles on our faces having had a great day out on the bike.

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Sun G3 ride – a slightly longer ride was planned for today, and once again Alan came up trumps with a lovely route out to Ardingley. The group was made up of: Claire W, Sadie B, Alan E, Andy C, Keith C, Simon L (until Edenbridge) and me. We headed out via Ide Hill, Bough Beech, Edenbridge, Lingfield, Turner’s Hill and then our destination of a lovely cafe in Ardingley. The weather was good enough to allow us to sit outside, which was lovely except for the wasps, but Keith soon sorted them out by trapping them in a glass on his plate of left over baked bean juice, where they either drowned in juice or were starved of oxygen!! The return route took us on some lovely lanes I had not experienced before, including a nice unexpected off-road section! We had a quick drink in Lingfield on the second time through before our final push for home via Crowhurst, Oxted and the Pilgrims Way. Keith led us up Polhill and I just about managed to hang on his wheel with superman Alan on my wheel. Great route and riding by all, thanks everyone. I did 74miles at around 15.5mph average on a reasonably lumpy route!

Nick Patow
    Participant

The Saturday Sun returned this week and brought with it 11 to the G

Adam D, Simon V, Grant R, Sean C, Colin P and myself made up the first group away, with Claire C, Claire W, Simon P, Jim N and Steve B forming the second.

Straight onto the hills we went with the push up Cudham Lane before dropping down to the A25 and heading up Brasted Chart and on to the summit of Ide Hill. The long downhill section was next as we made our way to Bough Beech and all the way to Chiddingstone before starting again with the uphill. Did anyone notice this bit of downhill, or only the uphill ? 🙂

So, a long creeping up, speedy down and a short punchy up brought us to Moat Lane/Bassetts lane, a really nice little road running across the valley and on to our midway point of the ride. Banana stop.

Another drop down and climb back up was next, although I understand some of the keener riders in group two spotted that this section of uphill could have been avoided with a “straight on” at this point. Sorry!

Across to Penshurst we went, where in our group I believe a number of PB’s were set on the road up out of the village. Certainly our group was riding a decent pace, challenging, but enjoyable, always together and with everyone taking a turn on the front.

A few left and rights and a bit of creeping up uphill, and we were at the base of Hubbards, a real bonus for the riders after what had been a fairly flat route up until now – That’s right isn’t it Claire W ?
    A further bonus awaited us on the bridge over the A21 with Lee Staples taking time out from his own ride to take some photos capturing everyone’s smiles as they neared the top. Pictures available to view on Lee’s strava ride.

A short recovery, and then the standard route back to Belmondo’s via Brittains Lane, Riverhead and Polhill, with one final push along the A21 for good measure. Thanks to all for the company and really enjoyable ride.

Best of luck to all the Avanti taking on Ride London today.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.