Club Rides. 26/27 October

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides. 26/27 October

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Alastair Wood 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Alastair Wood
    Participant

Hoping there will be some takers for Saturday, happy to watch the Rugby on chasing playback! Need some miles to check out the new BB and Windstopper gear 🙂

Alan Else
    Participant

Seven riders checked in for the G3 flight to Redhill Aerodrome, leaving the G in bright autumn sunshine and soon gained height up Rushmore Hill before swooping down Hogtrough to join the Pilgrims Way and cruising along at a good tempo to Titsey Church and Oxted. Captain Carl set a good pace at the front of the formation as we flew on at low level until a pull on the joy stick was necessary to climb Tilburstow Hill. Thence through a slightly flooded wooded area with bumpy roads causing some turbulence, we navigated through Bletchingly and headed for the Outwood Mill beacon to guide us through the lanes for a soft landing at Redhill Aerodrome cafe. The cafe was busy but the food was as good as Carl had promised and was worth the queing to pay for it. With baby planes taxiing along with wing tips only inches from the customers, we vacated our seats in the sun and headed for home, retracing our flight plan to Tilburstow. With a slight deviation to miss the possible turbulence of a muddy lane, we soon gained altitude up Gangers Hill with a stop at the top to admire the view over the valley below. Then it was a float down towards Westerham,skimming the ridge but with a hard left roll to barrel up to Tandridge Church, and then to Shampan and a fast descent down Cudham Lane back to the hangar at the G. A good group in tight formation most of the way, just like the Red,White and Blue Arrows! Our flight log recorded 80 Kms and 1032m climbing at 15.92 kph av. Thanks to Carl, Ian, Simon, Keith, Keith2, and Sadie for another enjoyable clubrun.

Ian Soper
      Participant

G4 had a select group of 5, Ian, Chris, Dave, Steve and Alethia, on a cold but bright ride out to the Gravesend Cyclopark. I was the designated leader but I had heavy legs after a week in Mallorca so the leading was shared by all. The ride out avoided my usual narrow lanes around New Ash Green as we expected them to be wet and muddy so we took the main road route through Longfield and up Longfield hill and on to Cobham. We then took the cycle path alongside the A2 to the Cyclopark. After a short stop we headed back on a flatish route home via Longfield and Hextable and on to Orpington. It was an uneventful ride and as expected from a G4 ride we all stayed together, well almost!
      Ride distance: 41 miles.
      Ride average speed: 13.5 mph.
      Total elevation: 1777 feet.

Keith Cooper
    Participant

G3 ride today was an interesting one as it was a request from Carl to Alan to make as a route to the Aerodrome at Redhill which it turned out to be a very good choice indeed. As to everyone’s delight the sight of planes and helicopters buzzing around whilst eating and chatting was quite different to the norm . As we arrived just behind us was the Sidcup and a large group of them we hurried to the counter to be served when one of the waitresses relegated us to the outside where we was going anyway.. but after ordering our food but then of course the Sidcup ordered first and received they’re orders first.. Nice !
    Not doing that one again but it was made up by the fact we was enjoying the atmosphere and noise. It was a good ride down some lanes we have not been and there was some great runs !
    We went out from Rushmore Pilgrims lane then over the ridge as they call it and around Oxted over the M23 down to Outwood .
    7 riders. Me . Ian G. Carl B. Simon L. Alan E. Sadie B. Keith D.
    I was showing 65 miles at 14.9 which was about average
    But the weather made it all the better

Dave Barker
    Participant

Avanti G2

The Avanti G2 assembled mob handed at the G. This weeks gangsters in attendance were MartinR official ride leader, HamishB acting assistant deputy ride leader, SimonH recently back from holiday in Greece while we all suffered here in the rain (jealous) and AndrewS showcasing his new Colnago super bike acquired from a race team in Majorca, and yours truly of course.

At the G the group decided because of the rain and high winds yesterday the lumpy route planned would be shelved in favour of a jaunt down to Yalding hoping for cleaner roads and no muddy puddles. What we didn’t realise was JohnnyE had arrived late and had attempted to chase down the group or at worst meet us at the planned Ide Hill Cafe stop. In our defence JohnnyE had not signed up for the ride, so we were not aware until a text arrived from Johnny while we were enjoying our flat whites and freshly baked pastries at the Boathouse. Apologies Johnny, hope to see you out next time.

Was the traditional Classic Yalding route today: Otford, Seal, Golden Green, Laddingford before arriving at our turning for home point at Marden. After the Boathouse (much better coffee than Teapot) it was an amble home via Plaxtol, Ivy Hatch, Dunton Green and up Poll Hill back to the G. Everyone looking strong today and taking turns on the front which is how it should be. Drivers all well behaved and most of the ride bathed in wonderful Autumn sunshine so could not have gone better. Much better than staying at home on the turbo 🙂

Check out the attached photos taken at the BoatHouse …

Average 18.3mph over 58 miles with 2,700ft of climb, but it’s the getting out for a social ride that’s the best bit.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Simon Vaughan
    Participant

Thanks to all for a great ride. Really enjoyed it today.

Nick Patow
    Participant

Missing the rugby with me this week were Claire C, Alistair W, Simon V and Grant R.
    After the recent rain and some heavy winds we dodged the narrower lanes and bigger hills for a speedy loop on some more established roads.

A21 to Polhill, down to Sundridge and up to Ide hill got us started, before the descent to Bough Beech. The strong winds were still hanging around and after Simon had pulled us through them to this point I snuck onto the front just as it became a bit of a tail wind !

My enthusiasm seemed to get the better of me on the first rise along the road to Leigh, and it wasn’t long before the “trusted” Simon was reinstated at the front.
    Bananas followed before heading to Plaxtol and back via Pilgrims Way to climb Polhill and head for coffee.

A very enjoyable ride in surprisingly warm conditions, thanks to all. A big decision to make for next weekend…. is a World Cup final too much to miss in favour of a bike ride 🤔

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.