Club Rides – 23rd/24th November

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides – 23rd/24th November

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Claire Clarke 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Sun G3 – I think we had the following start off for another Alan special route to Lingfield and the lovely Red Rum cafe: Sadie B, Simon (no mudguards and dodgy gears) L, Alan E, Jo S-S, Russ K, Wasiq R, Ken I and me. Carl B caught up at the cafe and did some of the return route with us before peeling off to visit his sister. The route took us out via Ide Hill and Edenbridge before wiggling through the lanes to Lingfield, all fairly flat. After a nice refuel at the cafe we set off for our return journey which took us via Pains Hill and back on to the Pilgrims Way and home. I’m sure Alan said the route home was “flat”, maybe I took a wrong turn! Thanks all for a good ride, and the sun even came out as we were on our way back.

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Thanks Nick for the route and write up. The second, I’m guessing slightly slower group, had a good ride too without too much incident until not far from home Martin had a puncture. It was quickly repaired though, despite the nasty thing that caused it not wanting to be removed from the tyre, and we were on our way. Apologies no-one stopped for coffee, I think we’d all just got a bit cold and wet. Thanks to the group for good efforts on the front and company.

Nick Patow
    Participant

The early Saturday ride met before the rain, but that “better than forecast” reality wasn’t to last !

Ten in total, two groups, and off we went

Group one on the road were John C, Andy Mc, Simon V, Sam D and Me

Second away from the G we had Alistair W, Claire C, Martin D, Tom S and Claire W

On a significantly different route to last week (err), we made our way up Cudham Lane before dropping down to Pilgrims Way. Effort levels were it seemed being determined by the weather and the forecast ahead of us as a sprightly pace was set. It was pretty murky at the top of Hogtrough, and a rain jacket was added to Simon’s attire at the bottom. Others persevered as they were all the way down to The Red Barn, via Lindfield, Oxted and Tandridge Lane. John C seemed to be enjoying himself on the front, so was left there for
    ages 🙂

Two more rain jackets went on before we turned for Lingfield, and the speedier part of the ride over to Edenbridge. Having ridden past the road closed signs, we found a sliver of tarmac just/nearly wide enough to stay on the bike at the extensive road works when we reached them. That was a bit of a relief, given how far we’d come to reach them, and the ride leader’s total lack of idea as to what the re-route might have been !

Banana’s at Hever, then Sam D took to the front to pull us through to Ide Hill. I’d like to say he then pulled me up there, but who’d believe that ! I got there last and collected the other four to continue up to Goudhurst Common and down to Dunton Green, before making our way up Polhill. A nice tidy ascent in a group meant we continued off the top to head for Belmondo’s, with Sam again making his way to the front to give us the tow to coffee.

Although is was wet, it was an enjoyable ride, with good company, and for us without the misfortune of a puncture that had affected the other group. Hopefully it didn’t spoil the ride for you guys too much.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.