Club Rides – 22nd/23rd September

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides – 22nd/23rd September

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Claire Clarke 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Nick Patow
    Participant

The early Saturday ride was attended by 17 this morning, the numbers presumably boosted by the Sunday weather forecast ?

Two groups were formed, one of 8 and the other 9. I took the smaller, Claire Clarke the larger (thank you to Claire). The route was the deceptively hilly one that avoids any of the big hills, but rarely hits the flat.

First is the shock of Old Hill immediately after the start, before we then settled into the creeping climb up to Shampan via Downe and Jail Lane. Today we had a strong group, and with Julian, Grant and Simon V pulling on the front a decent pace was quickly established.

Across to Tatsfield and along to Gangers before dropping down to the A25 was next, before heading to Oxted. Next was Over to Pilgrims Way and along to Chevening on our way to Shoreham.

In Shoreham we were caught by the Channon/Barker breakaway from Claire’s group, although after that they didn’t have it in their legs to drop us ! (Well, they chose to stay with us that is). Maybe it was just me, but our new larger group seemed to pick up the pace a little from this point as we worked our way up the final drags ?

Down from Chelsfield to Belmondo’s was our finish, and an indoor cup of coffee very much the requirement for the day. Luckily all of us who went for coffee (from both groups), fitted inside. The only problem was by the time the second cups had been drunk, the rain had started!

A very enjoyable ride at a decent pace, with good company and all riding well. My numbers came out as 68km with 780m of up at 26.5 kph.

Claire Clarke
      Participant

Thanks Nick for the route and to my half of the Sat riders for an enjoyable, dry ride. Which is more than can be said for this morning; I wimped out of cycling but went for a run – OMG, I was just a bit wet when I got home!! In my Sat group were: Simon C, Martin D, Denis M, Claire W, Jamie (first time out on a Sat-fitted in very well), Adie (who had already cycled from Gravesend for an 8am start-well done you), Graham, Dave, and me of course. We followed the same route as Nick described above, but despite giving them a head start we nearly caught them on the road past Lullingstone cafe, we had a food stop at the top to let them get away again! When the Channon/Barker duo disappeared off the front of our group I wasn’t really concerned, but if you were trying to hide from us you need to get a more discreet gilet Graham!! Thanks to all.

Dave Barker
    Participant

Post your ride updates here 👍

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.