Club Rides – 20th/21st July

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides – 20th/21st July

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Claire Clarke 1 month ago.

• Author

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Sat ride-thanks to Nick for persevering with the weather and carrying on with the Sat ride, if a bit later than usual. My shoes have dried out!
    Sun G3 ride-good to see a strong turn out across all the groups at the ‘G’. For the G3 ride I think we had: Alan E, Sadie B, Denis M, Ian G, Simon P, Keith C, Subash C, Joe S, me and Alex N who managed to find us at the cafe stop-well done Alex! Once again Alan had devised a lovely route out to Forest Row, via Ide Hill, Hever and Dormansland, returning via Hartfield, Penshurst and Baileys. Another new cafe (Cafe Coco) in Forest Row was experienced, very nice. Everyone riding well and my Garmin said we averaged just over 15mph, and I think we did just under 60 miles. Oh, and we bumped into Avanti G3.5 at the cafe! They were all looking strong when we saw them again later on the route. Thanks Alan for another lovely route, and thanks to all for good company and way better weather than my Sat ride!

DaveB
    Participant

G4 To Lingfield went very well. Six of us set out at a medium pace until Oxted. No riders were dropped, although cars split us up at Oxted Village, we re-convened and pushed on to Blindley Heath on the only decent road in Surrey.The pace had heated up but no one got left behind.We turned for Lingfield, which brought us into more dreadful Surrey Roads. Our Costa Coffee stop was as good as ever.I did not check the Garmin, but we arrived
    before 11 o’clock. The route home was led by Charles, then Steve, then anyone who fancied their luck. Needless to say I got spat out the back several times. At the A25 I missed the traffic lights which did create an extended delay, however we were all together along Pilgrims Way. Unfortunately I nearly got taken out by a yellow VW, such was the group fury that Julian attempted a confrontation at the Westerham Hill cross roads, but the culprit had vanished.The last blast was up Polhill, but only the climbers hit the top first. Distance nearly 50 miles, speed “would I lie to you” YES! 13.5mph. Climbing not recorded.

Bill Fitzgerald
    Participant

G2 – to Wakehurst Place Garden Ctr (Cafe) (Ardingly).

Led by Hamish 13 of us split into 2 groups and ascended Cudham Lane. Often temporarily coming back together as one large group via Gangers we made our way heading out via Tandridge and took in the usual route to Tulleys and onwards to the top of Turner’s Hill. Instead of making the turn home we headed south to Wakehurst place which is fast becoming a strong favourite in that area. With 4-5 of the group heading backing separately after a quick coffee the rest of us headed home after a slightly longer stop via Turner’s Hill and then the usual return route from Tulleys.
    Some good turns on the front by all in the group saw us reach the G in a decent time with a good average speed.

Good weather, great company, decent (quick) coffee and cake – what’s not to like?

67 miles – 3hr 35mins – ave 18.6mph

Thanks for leading Hamish

Bill

Nick Patow
    Participant

Having woken to blue skies and optimism the weather forecast which had improved significantly overnight might offer us a pretty dry morning, the early Saturday ride riders were to meet just before 8am to face the darkening skies

Starting in the rain……

We stopped pretty early into the ride because of the torrential rain, in fact it was about 30 metres and then we were sheltering under the canopies of the garage on the corner at the G ! Within minutes we’d seen a massive puddle form on the roundabout, and enthusiasm was faltering a little. Probably 20 minutes of waiting and with the rain easing a little it was decision time. Adam and Grant headed home, whilst Simon & Claire Clarke, myself and Tom Salter retired to the Clarke’s Cafe for coffee and further deliberations.

A hour or more after the formal start time, and the rain had just about stopped, so I announced my plan to start the route and see how it went. Tom, being so close to home couldn’t resist either at this point……….going home that is, and with Simon deciding not to leave the house again, it was just Claire who joined me.

Needless to say the roads were pretty mucky, but we made decent progress until Charles Darwin School before needing to roll through a massive puddle across the road. Claire peddled through and got wet feet !
    From here, things weren’t too bad at all, accepting the large amounts of debris washed everywhere across the roads. By the top of Old Terry’s the sun was out and it was turning into a lovely mid morning.

Back via Shoreham, and then up to and down from Cudham brought us back to the G, and straight past Belmondo’s as the earlier coffee stop taken at circa 2km’s into the ride had eaten up all the available time.

In the end, it was a nice little ride in the sunshine. Thanks to Claire for the good company…… and I’d got home in time to wash all the muck off my bike before the afternoon rain started too !

Things have seemed a lot nicer for today’s rides

Nick Patow
    Participant

Add your ride stories here…..

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.