Club Rides – 1st/2nd June

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides – 1st/2nd June

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ian Soper 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Dave Barker
    Participant

G2 was a bit light today with only BertH and SeanC signing up with no ride leader so with some last minute G1 reinforcements: HamishB, GrahamC, MattW, MartinR and yours truly, we were good to go.

Starting up Cudham we ambled off to start the ride with the other groups waving us off – well I think they were waving. Everyone taking turns and sharing the work at the front as it should be. Out via Tatsfield, Crowhurst and Smallfield we arrived at Tulleys in good time. Sean had punctured in his enthusiasm to reach the coffee stop only a few hundred yards before Tulleys and told us to press on to the coffee while he sorted his puncture. We duly obliged and toasted poor Sean with Lattes, iced water and cake, what a fine fellow Sean is and what sacrifice. Sean arrived 15 minutes or so later and did manage to eat and drink, so we weren’t that cruel.

Out on the way back we picked up pace and glided home as a nice tight group via Lingfield and Oxted, certainly feeling a little drained by the weather. Graham convinced us going up Sundridge Hill would save us time getting back home so we duly suffered up one of the steepest climbs in Kent. Oddly the social chat prevalent throughout the rest of the ride died off a bit on this hill, perhaps it was the lack of oxygen and the dehydration induced cramp that had something to do with it. After suffering on Sundrige Martin detoured off home and the rest headed back on an easier and much welcomed route that took us down Rushmore hill and on towards Poppies for our post ride analysis and customary menu item number two.

A nice social ride with quite a decent pace on the way home meant we averaged 18.1mph and 3,150ft climb, so probably nudging toward a G1 speed ride rather than G2 in the end, but all riders contributed and ended the ride strong so all good.

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Sun G3 ride – 8 of us set off from the ‘G’ on another lovely sunny day: Claire W, Simon L, Ian G, Tony LeV, Richard L, Keith C, James H and me. Alan had set us a lovely route to the Perryhill cafe just after Hartfield, which took us via Ide Hill, Penshurst and Groombridge. Quite a few “lumps” but everyone was going well in the heat. James had an interesting sounding mechanical issue with his bike and did mention looking for the nearest train station at one point, but he struggled on, we always knew where he was in the group!! It certainly didn’t slow him down-he overtook me on Baileys having already been to the top and back down some of it!! I set out with the plan to turn early but it was such a nice day I carried on. Thanks Alan for the route and thanks to everyone for the company and turns on the front. Don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m whacked now!

Ian Soper
      Participant

The first really sunny and warm sunday of the year brought out 12 riders for the G4 club run to the cyclopark. Before we had even left the Green 2 decided they needed more hills leaving 10 to head off up Polhill. The ride included a number of normally G3 riders so perhaps the pace was a little high so at Badgers Mount RAB the group split into 2 with Charles and two others taking a more steady pace and the remaining 7 pressing on via Eynesford, up to Speedgate and through the back lanes to the top of Longfield hill. After passing through Cobham we took to the A2 cyclepath and arrived at the cyclopark to find that Charles group had got there before us!
      For the ride home there seemed little appetite to tackle the “Cote de Crockenhill” so Dave B took the lead to show us a flatter route home. After Longfield we headed east along the B260 towards Darenth but we missed the left turn and ended up almost into Dartford. I knew this route from my cycle commute from work almost a decade ago so we got back onto the A225 and found the correct turning which took us towards Hextable.This was a pleasant and relatively flat route, as promised, and we finally came out on the old A20 at the Bull at Birchwood,, now a carvery restaurant.
      Crossing the A20 we followed another long flat lane before rejoining the old route and headed back to Orpington. A nice route home and one i hope i can remember for future use.
      Ride distance: 46 miles.
      Average speed: 13.4 mph.
      Total climbing: 2043 ft.

Nick Patow
    Participant

After a bad weekend for crashes last weekend, I’m pleased to report the first ride of the weekend passed without incident today. Best wishes to all recovering after last week, especially Mick Coulton who had his surgery in the week.

11 were at the G, so a 5/6 split formed our two groups. First off was John C, Bert H, Andy Mc, Simon V and Russ K.
    Following, were Claire C, Julian S, Grant R, Steve B, Chris M and myself.

On a lovely morning we set off up Old Hill to get the steepest climbing of the day out the way early !
    From there it was a route through Downe to Shampan, and on to the top of Tatsfield. Having stopped at the top of Gangers to tighten my handlebars our chances of seeing the other group were gone, but we were still making decent progress down to the A25 before turning for Oxted. After Limpsfield it was up the foothills of Titsey to Pilgrims Way and along to Chipstead. Everyone was riding well with the group maintaining a decent pace as we all enjoyed the sunshine offerings.

A few more ups and downs brought us through Shoreham, before we headed over to Eynsford to start the gentle climb back to Chelsfield village via Crockenhill and the lane upto Lullingstone. Having noted the elevation in Eynsford it surprised me how much climbing there actually is between the two points, plus of course there’s the downhill section into Crockenhill in the middle to factor into that too.

All we needed do from Chelsfield was drop down to Belmondos to join the first group. Today we were fortunate enough to enjoy the outdoor seating for our coffee, although I seem to have picked up some tan lines off the back of it 🙂

Many thanks to all today for the good company, and turns on the front. I hope everyone enjoyed the ride and no one ended up with any sunburn – Its been a while since we’ve had to worry about that !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.