Club Rides – 18th/19th November

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides – 18th/19th November

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  DaveB 9 months ago.

• Author

DaveB
    Participant

G4.5 to Brooklands Garden Centre went well. 5 made the journey via 2 groups, all arrived cold despite the reasonable pace and warm clothing. I know Prince Charles liked the 3 Degrees,( from the comfort of his Rolls Royce ) We had coffee and refreshments quickly served despite the hords of Xmas shoppers giving Santa sore knees no doubt. (Not sure if that is legal anymore) Ho Ho Ho! The ride home was steady allowing peter to take the preme, although I needed “Piddlers Gate” more than anyone else.Peter and Brian did the sensible climb via Maypole Hill, while I took Rita and Jenny up Polhill. Reasonably quiet for a Sunday, but it only takes one twit to give you an anxious moment (Small red car) 42 miles speed in the 13’s Dave B

Michael Coulton
    Participant

Hi all me again , Cheers to Phil for getting up early and leading G3 to Horley a good run with a good bunch . My poor bike looked as if i went on G,C’s Mudfest Whitstable run again .Think my bike cleaning skills are improving more than my riding !! Any consolation Neale my legs were starting to cry again on the way home maybe the Saturday hills taking toll . Another great weekends Avanti rides.
    Cheers
    Mick C

Neale Napier
    Participant

Thanks to Phil for leading the G3 on Sunday to Horley and thanks to the rest of the great bunch, making up the “Famous Five” (for one day only). Lunch stop food 10/10, coffee 4/10 (compared to Belmondos). It was a lovely, fairly flat ride in sunshine. We seemed to be zipping along quite nicely. It was unfortunate that with about 10 miles left to go my legs decided that every hill had now become mount Ventoux 🙂 The mind was willing but… I think doing the Saturday as well had taken it’s toll 🙁 Oh well, what doesn’t kill you and all that…

Michael Coulton
    Participant

Cheers to Nick and the Saturday crew for yet another great 40 miler . With great lanes i have yet to have gone down ,and some hills i have not been up before . A hilly route which seemed easier since changing to a compact 50/34 , my little legs found the 52/36 hard . Keep it to yourself but there’s wispers of a KK taster route next Saturday ( dont want to spoil the suprise ) so set your alarms !
    67 miles wed/ 50 sat / 64 sun / 180 miles this week , think i need a small lie down .
    Cheers
    Mick C

Neale Napier
    Participant

Thanks for the nice route. We were sooo lucky with the rain. It was pretty unpleasant conditions later watching Bromley FC eke out a 1-1 draw at Hayes Lane. 🙂

Nick Patow
    Participant

Back on the road with the Saturday Ride :

With the brightest weather forecast in weeks suggesting a trouble free ride would bring us back to coffee nice and dry, there were 11 keen attendees assembled. Neale N, John C, Simon P, Mick Coulton, Simon V, Julian S, Steve B Alistair D Sadie B and Kyle P making up the numbers with me. Whilst we did have a couple of problems along the way, I’m delighted to report we all finished before the rain arrived 🙂

A 6/5 split kept us car friendly up Cudham Lane, before a peel off at the Blacksmiths Arm’s allowed us to ride together and gave us the bonus of the climb back up to Shampan. From here we headed for Tatsfield, but by the time we reached the village green we’d lost Simon V to a broken spoke and I’d found I had a puncture. The good news however was the delay meant Yvona who’d just missed us at the start had caught us up. Immediately after the restart, I could tell something wasn’t right with my wheel and we had to stop again – this time because the tyre wasn’t sitting properly on the rim. More fiddling ensued before I was eventually back on two round wheels !

With two stops in quick order, we’d lost all the warmth generated from the earlier climb, so found the descent to the A25 pretty chilly. Luckily a trouble free section in the rolling lanes across to Edenbridge was coming our way, and with the continued push over to Hever we were able to re-establish the body heat levels. A quick food stop at Hever Castle was taken, before the upward section of the route unfolded, firstly with the creep over to Four Elm’s and then the climb up to Chartwell. Roads down to Westerham, then onto Pilgrims Way lined up the final climb of the day as we turned left at the end of Pilgrim’s to tackle Sunridge Hill. Everyone seemed to enjoy it !

At the top, once everyone had finished chatting about how much they love the Saturday hills, the talk turned to coffee. Six were to head down to Belmondos, although it was nearly only five as Yvona was close to following Alistair home when he indicated left in Knockholt village to turn into his road. Luckily she realised and continued with the rest of us to finish.
    A nice cup of coffee was enjoyed by the pleasantly warm and dry group, before we made our way home just in time to miss the start of the rain.
    Thanks to all today for the company and support. Apologies for being the cause of the delays !
    For the record….68kms @ 25kph with 850m climbing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.