Club Rides. 15th/16th December.

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides. 15th/16th December.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DaveB 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

DaveB
    Participant

G4 to Hilden Golf were again small in numbers. Jenny and Sandra joined me in the fairly uneventful ride until Jenny got her second puncture in her rear tyre just outside of Leigh. I pumped it up and repaired it at the golf club two miles away. Unfortunately the chef was abcent so no hot food was available. No explanation was forthcoming. Indeed it might be ongoing as the cafe was empty. After close inspection Jenny’s tyre had suffered a snake bite with the resulting cut in the new tyre which she had recently purchased.Using my emergency tyre repair kit we were soon heading home.With the ice and frost well and truly melted the motor vehicles poured onto the roads. At least 60 cars and vans were held up in a queue to Riverhead. We carefully rode to the snakes head, before pedalling off to Dunton Green and Polhill.I was forced to uphold club honours to regain the lead having been passed up the hill. Fortunately this heroic act was witnessed by Dave Marshall who had stopped his car to await our arrival – he had given up his dinghy sailing at Bough Beech due to lack of wind. (I likewise) 42 miles 13+ mph.

Nick Patow
    Participant

The chilly weather forecast hit the numbers attending the early Saturday ride this week. A hardy six assembled at the G , Claire C, Simons V and K, Steve B , Tom S and Me.

The route was changed to a Saturday friendly 40 mile version of the winter gritting route. In the end , whilst cold, the conditions were okay with the roads being dry and few of any frost. Steve B claimed sight of a frozen puddle on Pilgrims, but no one else saw it 😊

Simon K was out for the first time in a while and had to dig deep . He’d offered to drop off and head for home, but had pretty much reached the furthest point from home at the time ! There was no way the group was going to let him struggle on his own, so we did our best to get him back at a reduced pace.

Tom then had a gear cable snap leaving him in the small ring, A couple of regroups along Pilgrims involved riding up and down the turns to keep warm , but in the end we all made it back safely for a much needed warm cup of coffee In Belmondo’s.

Thanks to Simon K for the coffee, Simon V for his turns upfront , particularly into the stronger than advertised wind, and to all for the good humour and good company throughout.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.