Club Rides 06th/7th October

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides 06th/7th October

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Parker 1 day, 22 hours ago.

• Author

Simon Parker
    Participant

G3 Llama Park
    Great weather for cycling out to the Llama Park. The team consisted of Patrick, Keith, Darren, Jo, Ken and myself. The route out over Ide Hill was straightforward – Patrick turned off at the bottom to get back in time for his lunchtime date (and to save us from his squeaking derailleur) . The rest of us ploughed on taking in the stunning views as we climbed up towards the Llama Park.
    After brunch, with a table visit by the eccentric owner, we started our decent back via Hartfield. At this point we had a Garmin malfunction, which seemed to be taking us back on the same route as the way out. We decided to use street signs to get us back to Edenbridge, as we had ventured too far off course. We had a lot of debate on the way back as to whether to we were going back via Ide Hill or Bailey’s. As G4 were going to attempt Bailey’s we decided that G3 could not be out done. Having concurred Bailey’s the next debate was whether we were going to play with the traffic on Polhill or take on Starhill. With plenty of bravado we plumped for Starhill, where there were plenty of shouts of who’s idea was this. Overall a great ride with great company achieving 62 miles @ 14.5mph and 4642ft of up.

John Caine
    Participant

Despite the impending threat of rain (which materialized later in the day), 13 of us turned up for the Saturday ride. Neale, Simon C, Simon V, Julian, Nick and Colin set off in the first group with Jamie, Daryl, Tom, Keith, Paul, Claire and me following soon after.
    The route was a standard Avanti ride going up Cudham, down to Pilgrims Way, along to Clacket Lane, through Hurst Green to Hever and back up Ide Hill and Polehill. It was a fairly flat ride, particularly compared to some recent Saturday rides and despite the rather brisk pace (well I thought so), we managed to keep together as a group all the way round.
    It was as we were on our way to Hurst Green from Limpsfield Common that we went passed the first group who had stopped due a bit of a miscommunication. Neale’s wish to ride the rest of the route with us had been misinterpreted and everyone in the first group had stopped thinking he had a problem. In fact, Neale, who was due to joint lead the next day’s G2 ride, had wanted to save his legs. And as it turns out, he’s not 100% well – hope you feel better soon, Neale.
    Having restarted, the first group soon flew passed us and off into the distance…..even though I thought we were going at a fair pace. I was glad to get back to Belmondos though before the rain was due to start. Despite us going round at an average of almost 16.5mph and getting back well before 11am, the first group were either leaving Belmondos or about to start their 2nd round of coffees. Shows you how fast they were going! Our ride was very enjoyable with good company and good riding by all…..as I’m sure it was for the first group.

Charles Lockwood
    Participant

G4 Hildenborough. 8 of us set off from the G on a beautiful if chilly morning. The route was Shoreham, Pilgrims, Kemsing and Plaxtol. Lee turned early as he wasn’t feeling too good and the rest carried on to Hildenborough. There were 2 coffee stop choices and we opted for Hilden Golf rather than 1809. At the café we were surprised to see the Velo Girls (and one velo boy) setting up for the finish of their sportive. Fortunately we were quite early so the sportive riders hadn’t started arriving. After a very pleasant chat and refreshments we set off towards Bayley’s only to run into “ROAD CLOSED” signs. We were taking the same route as Tonbridge half marathon. Luckily we were able to carry on and for the first section the runners had already passed so we enjoyed the luxury of closed road cycling for a few miles. Sadly when we got to Leigh we were asked to dismount and walk as the last of the runners were now coming from the other direction. Being good cyclists we were happy to oblige but were able to remount before too long and after a couple more diversions we were back on our chosen route to Bayley’s. The weather and company were so pleasant I almost enjoyed the climb. I think Rita and Dave took the honours but it was difficult to see from that far back…… The rest of the return was uneventful and we were back at the top of Polhil by 12.45. I reckon we were 40 miles G to G with 2900 feet of up at 13s. Obviously, all the walking lowered our average speed :-). Thanks all, a very nice outing.

Christopher Moss
    Keymaster

G2 Ride The Wall.
    Perfect weather conditions for a bit of climbing. Out today was Ade, Andy, Martin, Hamish, myself and Vini (Vingaudas). Cold start but soon warmed up with the climb to Cudham.
    Hamish had other idea’s about us keeping a steady tap and decided to collect memorabilia with his back tyre as our route kept criss-crossing Velo Girls sportive. Luckily Martin our mobile mechanic was on hand to not only assist with getting him going but to patch his tubes for the inevitable next puncture. Café stop was 1809 which was reasonably quite, so fast service until we noticed Hamish was missing “Again”. (Last seen 500 meters from the café). Yep he’d punctured again. We were informed he’d not had a puncture all year as he offered to buy everyone a Coffee as Martin repaired another tube (just in case).
    Good company and Good riding by everyone especially Martin and Vini who’s quick enough for G1.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.