Circuit of Kent 2018

Home page Forums Club runs Circuit of Kent 2018

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sefi Dakar 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Sefi Dakar
    Participant

Thanks to the organiser for letting me be part of this group doing the sportive. I went harder all round the route than I intended so sorry for that but we did work well and no one was dropped!

Route was diverted a lot so arrows on the road and signs worked well enough. Could be better.

Claire C -, you should be in G2 more often! You were riding off the front like a person on a mission! Superb pulling power! Same for Chris even with a ciggie in his mouth!

DaveB
    Participant

Click onto G4 Horley or Merstham for coverage of G4 ride

Patrick Norman
    Participant

Nice to see some of you out on the course. I was incognito and first to pass me without noticing was a 3 man group with Mr Staples leading the charge. Then Marek sailed past as I was blowing hard up a very moderate incline and finally GG doubled back at the 80km/130km split to have a quick chat. After this it was lonely flat miles into a headwind before crawling back up the hill to Seal.

Amazing how much condition you can loose and how much weight you can gain in a year off the bike! Nice way to cap off my first week back on the bike in over a year. I hope to be able to keep up with some of you soon so I can come on a club ride start to finish!

Claire Clarke
      Participant

Sorry I didn’t see you Patrick. Well done on doing the ride after only a week back on the bike. In no time you’ll be back to your usual form riding into the distance with us trying to follow!

Neale Napier
    Participant

I was in a G2ish group (Tony LV, Colin P, Chris M, Nick P, Claire C, Andy M, John C and Sefi D). We were luckier than others as the marshals weren’t on a pee break and where there was doubt, we took the correct turns (I think it’s because we had Claire in our group). Glad we did have a group going as it was quite windy. We only had one puncture between us, with the tube needing a couple of re-inflations (leaky valve?). We weren’t hanging around either. I clocked 17.4MPH over 80.7 miles with wind. I thought it was pretty cool forming our own grouppetto, cruising past people and definitely an advert for Avanti. We did have a couple of people that infiltrated our group but no problem, everyone was happy. Great days cycling, great event 🙂

Re: the signs, I think the organisers were a bit unlucky with last minute enforced changes, if it hadn’t been for that, we would have just followed our cycle computers, but it could have been more clearly signed for sure.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Claire Clarke
      Participant

Good photos Neale! Thanks to all in the G2’ish group, I thought we had a great group and managed to find our way round the course without any real problems!! Big thanks to those who did pretty huge efforts on the front and keeping the pace just about sensible enough that I could hang on. I really enjoyed the ride, a great group and decent weather. I have to say though, I felt more tired when I got home than any of the days we just did in the Pyrenees! Well done all, and thanks to Tony for organising.

Neale Napier
      Participant

and more pics… 🙂

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Marek Sasura
    Participant

First of all, many thanks to Tony for organising the participation of our club in this local sportive!

I have now done it four years in a row. It is a mix of I-know-where-I-am roads and where-am-I roads.

Yesterday we started as one big Avanti group (20-30?) but within minutes fireworks went off and we all spread out.

I decided to go at my own pace, especially after Saturday’s hard time trial. I was in a zone cruising along sunny Kentish lanes. Later on I teamed up with Richard Bingham and we were working like a Swiss clock in a 2-up formation. We got separated on one of the long upward drags. I waited for a while but in the end I just soloed last 45-50km back to Sevenoaks.

I was quite lucky because I was just following route signs by organisers without Garmin off-course-beep-beep disruptions and I got safely around the course they prepared for us.

It was a hard day on the bike (very windy) but strangely quite enjoyable. Pure cycling.

At the finish I met up with Dave and Gary who did a slightly shorter route (after a wrong turn) and then others gradually trickled in after some confusion on the course.

I like this event. It is well-organised, plenty of easy parking and it is local to us. Good food and refreshments – a ham & cucumber sandwich with a full-fat coke have never tasted so well. 🙂

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Marek Sasura.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.