Brighton Big Dog 2016

Home page Forums Sportives and group events Brighton Big Dog 2016

This topic contains 58 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Steve Rodgers 1 year ago.

• Author

Steve Rodgers
    Keymaster

big dog 2017 entry is open I’ll start a new forum

Simon Clarke
    Participant

The Big Dog 2016 video is up! Re-live a glorious day…

Spot the Avanti rider cruising through the woods…

Johnny Edwards
    Keymaster

Course is up on FB.

This year appears shorter at just 6miles with perhaps more technicall sections.

Steve Rodgers
      Keymaster

more technical sections = more places to fall off? πŸ™‚
      what time are we aiming to get there?
      looks like sign on is from 9:30 and we can squeeze in a recce lap around then.
      at the moment I’m driving down solo – with gazebo, avanti flags.
      Going solo means I don’t have to put the bike rack on the roof – and will save me time – but willing to do so to help out – anyone still needing a lift?

Steve Rodgers
        Keymaster

and last year I managed to break my chain – think it got whacked on a log or something – was handy to be able to repair it and keep rolling

Jonathan Harris
      Participant

It’s the wrong way round!

Reading on STW, apparently, this means the climbs won’t be as steep. This can only be good news for my fat “track weight” arse πŸ™‚

Simon Clarke
        Participant

It’s all backwards! Just going to make things more fun.
        Looking on STW might need to pack antihistamine as well as suncream. Couple of recent wasp encounters.

Simon Clarke
          Participant

Looks like every sponsor gets a bit of trail named after them. No branding opportunity missed there.

In other news Claire has been baking and there are brownies and cookies on offer. Or as I like to say chocolate cake and biscuits. Good with BBD tea!

Graham Channon
    Participant

‘Tooled up’ to the max

Graham Channon
    Participant

Thanks for all the tips guys – I’ll bring a couple of chairs so hopefully everybody can chillax – I always come crooked up so think I have everything covered – see y’all Saturday – bring it on!

Simon Clarke
    Participant

Hi All
    We have ten places and ten people for Brighton Big Dog. There’s a bit of luck! The places are all pairs teams, one is an over 50 as that is all they had left last weekend when I was finalising entries. I’m sure we can find a pair that are just old enough to make an over 50 pair – or at least one that looks plausible πŸ˜‰ So Big Dog is very popular this year as that is the first time I have seen anything sell out.
    I will drive down fairly early in the day. That way I can stake a pitch for our base near to the start/finish area. So I plan to leave Orpington at 8.30 latest. Others should plan to get to event at 10.30 to allow for signing on, putting bikes together, general faffage and maybe a little practice ride. We should have the Avanti flags and a gazebo. I’ll bring a couple of folding chairs. It’s good if we have a couple more chairs too. I will have room for another rider in my car.
    So – transport:
    Graham is planning to take Simon H
    I can take one other.
    Johnny Owen may be driving down on his own as he may have a family commitment.
    Rob did say that he could drive when we were discussing earlier.
    Steve Rodgers is planning on driving and has space in his car.

Could others please comment so that we can ensure that we all have transport?
    Entry fees are being subsidised by the club – so we only pay half of the @25 each that it normally costs to enter.
    And any questions please let me know.
    Again, event info on website: http://www.brightonbigdog.com
    Many thanks

Jonathan Harris
      Participant

Hooray! My sacrifices have pleased the gods and it looks like it will be dry! πŸ™‚

Simon Clarke
        Participant

Yes! Dusty singletrack goodness.

Nick Patow
      Participant

Hi,
      It’d help me out if I can get a lift on Saturday, rather than taking the car away from the family for the day.
      I’ve got some folding chairs I can bring along too.
      Also, how and when do we pay the entry fees etc ?

Simon Clarke
        Participant

Hi Nick, Welcome back from hols. I can give you a lift down on Saturday. I’m leaving a little early (8.30) but that’s so that I can fix up a few things. I’ll collect entry fees on the day.

Cheers

Simon

Nick Patow
          Participant

Thanks Simon,
          I can ride up to you if there is no need for my folding chairs, or drop them off with you Friday evening and ride down to you on Saturday ? Nick

Simon Clarke
            Participant

I can come by yours on Saturday morning. It’s no real trouble.

Johnny Edwards
      Keymaster

Simon,

Myself and Greg are camping nearby and so will make our own way there.

Another mate Paul W is also looking for a partner, so if there is another GS Avanti rider who fancies riding as pair, then there will be a space as I believe he doesn’t have a partner and is currently resigned to riding it solo for 6 hours unless he can find someone!

Looking forward to it.

Johnny

Graham Channon
    Participant

I’m driving SImon H down – Johnny suggested aiming to get to BD for about 10.30. I guess a picnic or something ? Anyone done the event to share some top tips?

Simon Clarke
      Participant

Tips – Laps are only 45 mins long. I only take a spare tube and pump with me thinking that any other mechanical I should be able to ride out to the end of the lap. I don’t even take water as I can last 45 mins without a sip. Just have a good drink when back at base. And get a bite to eat.
      There are a wide variety of riders on the course and it’s a long race so folk should let you by if you ask nicely and tell them which side you’d like to pass. You should return the favour to the fast guys.
      Buy a tea mug and have refills all day – all part of it.
      Gun it up the hills and enjoy the downs.
      In the tight single track look at where you want to go and that is where you will go, don’t look at how close that tree is…oh i’ve just hit it!
      I’ll bring a couple of folding chairs, Steve will bring a gazebo. It’s great to have a team base with the Avanti flags and chairs where we can relax. I’ll have some spare water there (there’s no water supply on site). I also bring a load of rolls or whatever else i think I’ll feel like eating. I’ll being some tools and spares. I might bring some mud tyres if it looks like rain. The course is very slippy/sticky in the wet. Pray for sun!
      Smile! Grab a free beer at the end of the event.

Jonathan Harris
        Participant

Simon’s covered most of it well, but I’m going to disagree a little on one point. I’d take a small multi-tool and a chain tool – both of which I’ve needed in races. The weight is negligible and it’s a useful insurance policy. Not sure, but don’t think you can short-cut back to the arena, which means if you do have a mechanical, you potentially have to run several miles with a broken bike. Not worth it for carrying 150g-worth of tools, IMO. Especially when there are plenty of opportunities for an off!

Eat well for breakfast and then snack through the rest of the day. 6 hours seems like a long time to be riding your bike, but it goes by pretty quickly.

Monitor your partner’s times and make sure you’re waiting for them. It’s annoying to put down a quick lap and then have to go and find a team-mate who’s still sat in a chair sipping tea.

On a similar note, you never get as much time to sit down and relax between laps as you think.

Take a bit of cash for the MorvΓ©lo bargain bins.

Don’t forget to enjoy it. It’s a brilliant event!

Nick Patow
    Participant

Simon,
    I hope you got my text last week, I’m still in for the event.
    (I’ll be away for the rest of this week after today)

Simon Clarke
    Participant

Hello All,

Not long to the Big Dog now. I am checking numbers. We currently have eight places booked and my list of participants now equals ten:
    Simon C
    Simon H
    Nick P
    Johnnie O
    Steve R
    Johnny E
    Johnny E’s Mate
    Rob G
    Graham C
    Lee S

So if you are all still in I need to buy another couple of places. A lot of categories have sold out now – way quicker than previous years. But I can get us an extra three man team place and then we can just have two people in that team. Could you please confirm to me either here or by email. Cheers!

Nick Patow
    Participant

Simon, 7:30 Saturday morning is good for me. I can meet you at the G or your home , whichever is better for you.

Nick Patow
    Participant

I can do Bedgebury this Saturday morning, and can drive down if necessary. I’ve not got a bike rack, but could possibly get a second bike in the back of the car if it comes to it. An early start suits me best, how does that fit with everyone else ?
    My last weekend opportunity to have a run out with you guys before the event would be next weekend, on Saturday 23rd as I’m away for two weeks from Sunday 24th.
    Also, it’ll be good if we can firm this up in the next day or so, so I can opt out of the Saturday road ride for sure in plenty of time. (Not sure what is planned there this week, but Ive lead the last couple of rides, and was happy to do the same again this week if necessary).

Simon Clarke
      Participant

Nick, Very happy to go down Bedgebury this Saturday. Could set off at 7.30 from Green/My house. I’ve sent you a friend request so that you can send me your mobile number. I am happy to drive. Two bikes go on our rack on the car easy.

Steve, Graham, others – you up for this too?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Simon Clarke.

Steve Rodgers
      Keymaster

OK I can do Saturday too.
      I’m hoping my new, shorter handlebars will be here in time to rebuild the front of the bike.
      I remember last year that my 720mm wide bars kept whacking off trees in the woods, so I’ve ordered a set of 580mm and will see how that handles.

Steve Rodgers
    Keymaster

any takers for this Saturday?
    and/or next Saturday?

Guy McLaughlin
      Participant

Hi Guys,

I can’t make Big Dog this year due to work but more than happy to lead a ride around Sevenoaks if that helps, a bit busy over the next few weekends so would have to be midweek!

Cheers

G

Simon Clarke
      Participant

I can definitely do this Saturday and probably next one too. I was planning on driving down to Bedgebury, parking around the back on Park Lane (about one mile in from the main road). That avoids the car parking charges. Would be going down in the morning, doing two or three laps and zooming off home again. A lap is 50 mins or so. I can take another person plus bike and gear.

Bill Fitzgerald
    Participant

Hi guys.
    I’m not going to be able to make this one.
    The haematoma on my right hip caused by my race crash on Easter Sunday has got worse and is causing me increasing issues, so I have been advised to stay off the bike with a possible operation on it at the end of the month or early August.
    I hope to be back on the turbo trainer by the end of August.

Cheers and have fun

Bill

Simon Clarke
      Participant

Hi Bill. Really sorry to hear that you are having problems with the haematoma. I had issues with one a few years ago on my left thigh and ended up in hospital with it too. Happy to discuss my experiences with that if it might help. Mine was also caused by a bang from a bike crash and got worse over time. i know how nasty it can be.

So – not good that you can’t make the Big Dog. You’ll be missed.

Graham Channon
    Participant

or surrey hills (free parking : )

Graham Channon
    Participant

Bedgebury sounds good – a Saturday would be ideal so it doesn’t clash with the club run Sunday?

Nick Patow
    Participant

I’d be interested in a training run, if nothing else to see if me and/or my bike will be up to the level required to last the race.
    I’m on holiday from 23rd July to 7th August, which is the week before the Big Dog, so would need to do it before then I guess.

Simon Clarke
    Participant

Bit of practice at Bedgebury or Surrey Hills? Well, I definitely need it. I’ll check the calendar when I get home in a week or so.

Steve Rodgers
    Keymaster

anyone fancy a session at Bedgebury?
    Be good to get some sessions there or elsewhere – Surrey hills – in the diary over the next few weeks.

Simon Clarke
    Participant

That’s seven takers so far. I have eight places booked. But I am sure that we’ll be able to book more places. I’ll do more entries as required – So if you fancy Big Dog please confirm here.

Johnny Edwards
      Keymaster

Sent you an email about the 8th place.

Johnny

Johnnie Owen
      Participant

I’m in – Big Time please! Can’t miss the Big Dog.

Graham Channon
    Participant

I’d like to join the party : )

Steve Rodgers
    Keymaster

I’m in – wouldn’t miss it!

Rob G
    Participant

I’d like to join in with this. Always wanted to have a go at the Big Dog but never had the MTB before. Cheers!

Johnny Edwards
    Keymaster

I’m keen, as I have a damned mug collection to maintain – need to get a fourth so someone doesn’t feel left out.

Big Dog Mugs

Simon Clarke
      Participant

Personally missing the three colours on the left. Looking forward to bagging another this year. Any bets on colour?

Jonathan Harris
        Participant

Mugs will be “Brighton Green”. You can reserve them in advance on their Facebook page.

Johnny Edwards
        Keymaster

I’m missing those three plus the pink. Resisted buying the teapot too.

Am I the only one to spot the printing error on last years mug? (or did I get a mug from the rare misprint collectible batch?)

Jonathan Harris
          Participant

Missing blue, green and pink. Annoyingly, I was at the first and second editions (blue and green (I think)), but as I was racing solo and a bit disorganised, managed to miss buying both πŸ™

What’s the printing mistake? Have had a look over mine and can’t spot anything wrong.

Steve Rodgers
            Keymaster

There’s a mixture of 5 and 7 years on last year’s mug.
            Do you want any of us non-solo riders to sort out your mug this year?

Jonathan Harris
              Participant

Good spot! I’d completely missed that.

I’m aiming to get there early so I can pick up a mug before the racing starts. However, if I do miss out, I’ll shout at you as I pass!

Steve Rodgers
        Keymaster

Avanti Blue would be nice πŸ™‚

Jonathan Harris
    Participant

Well spotted – entered months ago!

6 hours solo? How hard can it be?!

Johnnie Owen
      Participant

Don’t worry Jonathan – I’ve got a bit better – will pace you for a couple of laps; you’re in good hands

Simon Clarke
      Participant

A fairly straightforward run out for you.
      Now, have you managed to get your mountain bike out of the big ring or is that not something you’re worried about? Didn’t seem to be an issue for your legs last year.

Jonathan Harris
        Participant

Still haven’t got the chain off the big ring. However, I note that running one ring up front is very much the setup du jour – clearly just a trendsetter πŸ™‚

I genuinely might have to get round to fixing my front mech. It has been nearly three years now and doing 6 hours in the big ring might hurt. Still, mustn’t rush these things.

Nick Patow
    Participant

Hi Simon, I’d like to have a go at this. It looks like a really good day.

Simon Heaton
    Participant

I’m well up for this Simon, so much so that I’m coming home a day early from my summer hols especially!
    Looking forward to it.

Simon Clarke
    Participant

Big Dog is back again for 2016. The summer’s best day of mountain bike fun is on Saturday 13th Aug. It’s been a great hit with all the Avanti folk that have done it over the years. Last year we had eight people riding for us and we had a brilliant day of racing and fun and riding hard and tea drinking and fun.

The format is simple – we start racing at noon and go through till six pm. The course takes anything from half an hour to 50 mins to complete and is not mega technical. We tend to race as pairs in a relay. That means a few of us are riding while the others are resting, eating, browsing the stalls, sampling the tea and cake and listening to the tunes from your Big Dog DJs. It’s a chilling kind of day, with a race attached. Having a number of pairs/teams amongst us encourages a little friendly rivalry too…

Beer is available on a first come basis after the riding. Plus any event profits will be put behind the bar at a venue of the organiser’s choosing later that evening, if you fancy staying on. One person who will deserve a beer is Jonathan Harris who looks like he has entered as a solo.

Event details are here complete with pics and videos from previous years.
    http://www.brightonbigdog.com

I have already booked us some places for male pairs teams – just to make sure we get entries. This is one of the target events for the year so the club will pay a portion of our entry fees. We all race in club kit and fly our flags high at our race base near the start/finish area.

Let me know below if you want to join in with us by commenting below. Ask any questions there too. I’m getting excited already.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.