Big Dog 2017

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Simon Clarke Simon Clarke 4 days, 17 hours ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Simon Clarke
    Simon Clarke
    Participant

Hi All,
    A quick update.
    I now have a list of eight people for Big Dog. I have bought four pairs entires. One of which is a 50+ pair. The list of folk so far is:
    Me (obviously)
    Simon Heaton
    Steve Rodgers
    Johnnie Edwards
    Jonny Owen
    Graham Channon
    Tim Barker
    Tim who is Steve’s mate – known as Tim the ringer.

If you know of others who want to race the ‘Dog let me know or get them to post up here.

I have put a couple of rides on the events page that i’m doing this week if people feel like joining me. Please make sure you let me know through the events page if you want to come out and ride on either Wed (19th July) evening or Saturday (22nd July) morning. Wednesday is a local ride, Saturday I’ll travel down to Bedgebury. If anybody fancies exploring other areas please post up here too.

Gosh, Big Dog is coming up quickly. Soon it will be time to start organising lifts and pairings and tactics. And speculating on the colour of the mugs. Aah, the mugs.

Profile photo of Steve Rodgers
    Steve Rodgers
    Keymaster

I might have a mate – another Tim – not the Tim that came to Flanders – that is interested in joining us too.
    That’s 7 Avantis + 1 ringer

Simon Clarke
      Participant

Cool. I have now bought 3 male pairs entries and 1 male 50+ pairs entries. So that is eight riders in total.As Steve says – 7 Avanti and one ringer.
      Tim (Barker) unless we get another 50+ rider in you’ll be a straight up male rider. You shouldn’t have a problem with that as you flee past this bloke in his forties tonight!

Profile photo of Graham Channon
    Graham Channon
    Participant

Johnnie O and I are up for this : ) . . . 50+ of course : ) . . . Let me know best way to enter – as an Avanti team or independently?

Simon Clarke
      Participant

Graham, Johnnie – definitely got you a 50+ pairs place.

Simon Clarke
    Participant

Hi All. I have just got us a couple of pairs entries and am checking if Johnnie and Graham really want a 50’s one! So that’s entries for:
    Me
    Steve R
    Simon H
    Johnny E

We all know what a great event it is and the more the merrier, and even a little more competitive. Competitive in a very friendly way. We always have a great day. I’ve just been looking at the comments from a couple of years ago ( https://www.gsavanti.co.uk/forums/topic/brighton-big-dog-2015-mountain-bike-race/ ) and it is clear that we all had a great time. If you fancy it let us know here.

Profile photo of Timothy Barker
      Timothy Barker
      Participant

Hi All. I am interested in taking part in the Big Dog this year (50+ category) or whichever, could somebody make up a pair?

Steve Rodgers
      Keymaster

I’m still working on Graham to enter the Fat Bike category – there were only 3 entrants last year!

Steve Rodgers
        Keymaster

Bummer – there is no fat bike category this year 🙁

Profile photo of Simon Heaton
    Simon Heaton
    Participant

I’m up for the Big Dog again this year, with some specific off-road prep this time!

Profile photo of Chris Dines
    Chris Dines
    Keymaster

Hi,
    I’m certain the club will give some support for a team, once again. Simon – can you script something to go in a newsletter? Will space be very limited?

Simon Clarke
      Participant

Hopefully space not too limited. I haven’t made time to get any entries done this week. I’ll try to do that before the weekend. And i’ll knock up something for the newsletter and mail it to you.

Profile photo of Nick Patow
    Nick Patow
    Participant

I’d love to do this again, but unfortunately I’ll be away this year.
    I’d be up for all or any training trips to the likes of Bedgebury though.

Profile photo of Jonathan Harris
    Jonathan Harris
    Participant

I’m doing solo vet again.

Mustn’t start so fast this year…

Simon Clarke
    Participant

Oooh, I’ve been a bit late with this. Happy to organise entries and travel and be a general hub of organisation if you like. I’d suggest that we get a couple of seniors pairs entires and an over 50 pair (if that’s what J&G want) soon as poss. I can get on to that tonight (Tues).

****** For anybody who doesn’t know – Brighton Big Dog is a great MTB day of relay racing that has become a little Avanti institution. It’s one day when a bunch of us dust off our mountain bikes and make ourselves look daft on some great little trails in the hills above Brighton. The event has a relaxed vibe with a DJ and stalls and cake and tea. And commemorative mugs that change colour each year. What colour this year????

Profile photo of Johnny Edwards
    Johnny Edwards
    Keymaster

I need a new mug. Im in.

Profile photo of Johnnie Owen
    Johnnie Owen
    Participant

I’m in – Channon & I are hoping for a podium in over 50’s event….although Graham doesn’t know that yet.

Steve Rodgers
    Keymaster

Entry is now open 🙂
    http://www.xcracer.com/raceentry/viewevent.php?event_id=1193
    Who’s riding this year?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.