Club Rides – 22/23 February

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides – 22/23 February

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Claire Clarke 1 month ago.

• Author

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Sun G3 – not such a big turn out today, can’t understand what put people off, oh, that would have been the crazy weather! But, three hardy Avantis headed off for the cafe at Horley – Sadie B, Tony LeV and me. The wind was pretty tough going for most of the ride out to Horley, following one of Alan’s great magical mystery tours. But we made it through the wind and rain and arrived at the cafe looking rather bedraggled and mud splattered! Once we were fuelled on poached eggs and coffee off we set for the return leg, with a small patch of blue in the sky. We had a great tail-wind for a large part of the route home and we made good time, before hitting Pains Hill and then Hogtrough to finish-well it just about finished me! Half way down Cudham Lane the rain returned, surely it could have waited until we got home. Despite the weather it was a great ride, thanks to Sadie and Tony for good company and turns on the front. As I said in the Sat write up, I will miss you all. Thanks for all the great G3 rides, especially to Alan for coming up with all the routes, I would never have discovered some of them on my own. If we can arrange an Avanti away trip to Salisbury I will definitely work out some good cycling routes-it would be great. Please keep in touch. Hope to see lots of you at the pub on Mon night.

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Thanks Nick. Glad you enjoyed the coffee and cake. Nick had chosen a not too hilly route for our last Sat ride, and the second group “whizzed” round with plenty of chat. Neale did comment that there was more chatting in this group than the ‘faster’ group! Thanks to all for a lovely ride, especially those on the front taking most of the wind. We arrived at the ‘Clarke Cafe’ first and couldn’t work out where we had passed group 1, turns out it was as we passed Poppy cafe where they’d stopped off for a pre-coffee. Thanks to all the Sat regulars for all the great rides – I will miss you all. Please keep in touch, and if you’re in Wiltshire let me know. Once we’ve worked out the local cycling routes you’re very welcome to visit and we can have an away Sat ride.

Nick Patow
    Participant

Sixteen at the G for the early Saturday ride this week.
    Group one was Adam D, Russ K, Grant R, Simon V, Andy Mc, Chris M, Giles D and Me.
    Group two being Claire W, Wasiq R, John C, Neale N, Alistair W, Steve B together with Claire & Simon Clarke on their last Avanti Saturday outing before their move to Salisbury.

With floods aplenty this week a route on more established roads rather than the lanes was picked to hopefully avoid them, and as it turned out it proved pretty successful.
    So off we went along the A21 to Polhill before dropping down to Sundridge then up to the top of Ide Hill, all of which felt like it was into the increasingly strong wind. Down to Bough Beech, and the joy of a tailwind blew us over to Leigh and beyond, before bananas were enjoyed at Mote Road.

Throughout the numbers within the group shared the time on the front, I think I helped a bit in the tailwind section 😊 and it made for decent progress. Heading north out of Shipbourne we made our way via Plaxtol to Ightham and on to Pilgrims whilst catching the odd blast of a crosswind from the left.

Consequently we turned for Otford, and were back into the wind and a newly forming drizzle, but a least heading downhill now. Up to Polhill was a bit tough, but the regroup at the top set us up for the dash down the road to coffee. Lucky us, heading home. We’d just passed Marek and Dave B heading off out into the rain !

Simon and Claire had generously offered to host the post ride coffee at the “Clarke Cafe”, but with both enjoying their ride in the second group, we snuck into Poppy’s first, before making our way to the party after we’d seen them go past. Waiting for us there was a warm welcome, hot coffee, lovely cake and cookies. It was a lovely way to finish the ride.

Thanks to all for the great company of the road. Special thanks to Simon and Claire for their wonderful hospitality yesterday too. as well as all their support and encouragement throughout my time with Avanti. Best of luck to you both for the move.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.