Club Rides 21st/22nd Dec

Home page Forums Club runs Club Rides 21st/22nd Dec

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Claire Clarke 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Thanks Alastair for the Sat write up – made me laugh! Welcome to Henry who is indeed now a fully paid up GSA member.
    I also ventured out on Sun with G3, under similar wet conditions to Sat at the start. The hardy riders at the ‘G’ were: Claire W, Sadie B, Ian G, Alan E, Dennis M, Carl B (who timed his arrival perfectly as we were just leaving). He did however miss the mince pies brought along by Gillian Else for our “mince pie” ride – a big thanks for them, especially standing around in the horrible drizzle. We didn’t notice any other Avanti riders at the start!! We did wonder how long we would last initially as we set off in the rain, but after a while the rain did stop and I believe the sun even came out. Alan’s mince pie ride took us to Ide Hill via Back Lane, then on to Four Elms and a loop round to Bore Place before going up Ide Hill and back to Poppy’s for a lovely Christmas brunch. Thanks to all for a lovely ride and good company, and a very Merry Christmas to all in GSA.

Alastair Wood
    Participant

And SteveB in the 2nd group…

Neale Napier
      Participant

Well done all for getting out, it did look a bit iffy. Nothing much to report from my Zwift ride 🙂

Alastair Wood
    Participant

9 of us arrived at the G for the Saturday ride with preparation for the forecast conditions of sunshine and what we saw out of the window as we left, ie rain: dark sunglasses right through to full waterproofs. All came in useful on the ride. Tom’s, AndyMc and Soton Univ Road Cycling Duo SamuelS and HenryS left first, never to be seen again, followed by JohnC, ClaireC , RussK,,,, and AlastairW. Within 10 minutes of the start RussK had punctured and the group shivered waiting and discussed the merits of nuts and caps on inner tubes (or not). Also in conversation was whether HenryS was actually going to join and how many test rides did he need?!?
    We set off again and after overnight rain some of the roads were awash, and as we shortly discovered completely flooded and with torrents of water rushing off the fields. We forded one of 6 odd flooded sections of the day, the rain was light ish but on and off in the early stages. Thankfully it dried later on and those of us with darker sunglasses finally got some benefit, those more knowledgeable about the route can add more, but memorable hills out of Eynsford and Pilgrims towards W Kingsdown. So eventually back to Belmomdos with 2 of the first group leaving having had no puncture stops. Thanks to RussK for the coffee for the delay and some amusement as HenryS joined the club on his phone over coffee. A very warm welcome, and probably to be joined by fellow SURC member Samuel S later in the year.

Claire Clarke
    Participant

Some of us ventured out this weekend-anyone want to share their story?!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.