7 April British Cycling Virtual Race Round 1

Home page Forums Club runs 7 April British Cycling Virtual Race Round 1

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Neale Napier
      Participant

On the morning of our Avanti virtual ride, we discovered that British Cycling South East were putting on a Zwift event, so the Avanti Virtual meetup is now moved to Wednesdays.

A lot of us got quite excited about this and the following decided to enter Claire W, Andy C, Bill, Simon V, Denis, Simon P, Nolan W, AK and myself decided to give it a go.

It was a short race with 2 laps around a 9K course called the Gotham Grind. It’s a great racing course because it’s got constant undulations so suits all rider types, though probably more of a bias towards the sprinter.

We entered amongst various categories and by the sound of it all buried ourselves. Lots of messaging took place after the event, but strangely, none during it, (can’t think why). I managed to settle into a groupetto which was the perfect group for me as it took me to the edge without quite tipping me over it. Don’t think I could have done much more.

I also discovered some new powerups, that I’ve never seen enabled on events I’d done before. I didn’t have a clue what they were so randomly fired them off. I’ve since found out what they were.
      Burrito: makes you undraftable for 10 seconds. Apparently Simon V used this to drop one unsuspecting wheel sucker off the back of a group. Its designed for use when attacking off the front so opponents have to work harder to follow you.
      Cloaking (ghost): makes you invisible to other riders for 10 seconds.
      Use when you want to get away from one or more riders. Deploy then hammer, in hopes that you will create enough of a gap that your opponents can’t grab your wheel.

For anyone interested…
      Results https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=376268
      Course Profile https://www.strava.com/segments/19820820

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.