15 April Virtual Ride

Home page Forums Club runs 15 April Virtual Ride

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Nick Patow
      Participant

Just to fill a little gap in Simon P’s story of the ride, I can confirm Claire did catch me and then sailed on by like she was on the flat ! 🤣

Richard Liston
      Participant

I can only comment from my perspective as the Lanterne Rouge, but after suffering two torn ligaments in the same knee in the past 18 months, these rides and the camaraderie of GSA, are instrumental in helping me to regain some form. And it doesn’t help that my podiatry appointments have had to be placed on ice because of Covid-19.
      I was, as I expected, dropped at the start of the climb but pressed on and in a masochistic kind of way, enjoyed the suffering, so much so that I’ll be back for more next week. Well, as the saying goes: what doesn’t kill makes you stronger. Thanks guys.

Simon Parker
        Participant

There are a number of perspectives on this gruelling ride especially from the ‘big guys’ at the back.

At the start Denis was stuck at the start line for a minute and a half, and burnt all his candles trying to catch up with what turned out to be a Sunday G3 peleton.

Just before we reached the start of the Epic KOM, Claire declared “We need to catch Nick P”. By the time I had managed to type my response, she had shown Richard and myself a clean pair of heels and disappeared up the start of the climb, only to be seen again on the switchbacks!

Richard started to fall away at the start of the climb, where I doubled up with an Italian Rider, to try and close the gap to Claire, and I assume Nick P!

Halfway up the climb Denis appeared in my rearview mirror, as John K came into sight in front. Denis, having worked so hard, eventually succumed to fatigue and started falling away as we reached the KOM Summit, to then be presented with the “Bonus Climb”.

I managed to close the gap with John K on the bonus climb, which resulted in us both enjoying a fast decent all the way back down to the finish line together.

Despite feeling completely drained, the achievement of getting up the climbs and maintaining a steady effort, at or around my FTP, shows the daily Zwift Training sessions are starting to pay dividends.

Enjoyable ride and great to virtually meet up with our cycling buddies.

Roll on next week!

Simon Vaughan
      Participant

14 signed up for an evening jaunt up the mountain. The route of choice was Muir and the Mountain which turned out to be a nice roll through titans grove followed by a lengthy climb up epic KOM and the “bonus climb”🥵

The group started at a nice pace and the bumps in the woods soon saw a front group develop including Neale, Tim (joining us all the way from Washington state in the USA), John M, Sam, Toby and myself. We weren’t using the bungee today so the real success was that we stayed as a group the whole way round

We soon arrived at the bottom of Epic and the effort quickened to around 3w/kg and stayed pretty steady till the rollers at the top where Sam lit up the board showing his true form to the arch. A short punchy climb to the radio tower and a quick regroup at the top before setting off down the mountain. Took us half way down the mountain and a kicker for the group to come back together but from there is was a roll to the finish banner.

Then the bad news, we had to climb the Titans grove KOM once again for the official route completion badge.

We lost touch from group 2 so hoping that someone can add their experiences

I had 39km, 914m of climbing in 1:21

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.